Stang making a creaking sound..HELP!!!

YellowCobra28

Established Member
All I know is that I never hit any potholes. My car is aligned just fine. But when I turn the steering wheel to the right whether in motion or when the car is running and idle, I get this creaking noise and it sounds like the front, like a rusty tie rod or something. Has anyone had this problem before? My Cobra is still under warranty, but I don't want anyone at Ford's touching my car. Any ventures what it may be, and how to remedy the situation?

Last edited:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
there is a TSB on this. take it to the dealer if you are still under warranty and they will replace the rack bushings.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
there is a TSB on this. take it to the dealer if you are still under warranty and they will replace the rack bushings.

Thanks bud, yeah I should have done a search first, but figured I was the only one with this problem. I guess not. Off to the dealer I go. I don't think they could mess up a simple steering rack bushing replacement, or could they?! :cuss:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
Thanks bud, yeah I should have done a search first, but figured I was the only one with this problem. I guess not. Off to the dealer I go. I don't think they could mess up a simple steering rack bushing replacement, or could they?! :cuss:

If your lowered get off-set bushings.

exdeath

Established Member
Hmm I have that same thing on my coupe but it's when I turn the wheel left. It creaks almost like the sound of a torque wrench every quarter turn of the wheel or so to the left, in all weather. No sound to the right, and 'resets' and creaks again going left. Nothing I've been terribly concerned about being that these are muscle cars and not Cadillacs, but if it's just a few bucks and an hour or two, might as well get rid of it next time it's up in the air.

So... just rack bushings huh? I'm not experienced with troubleshooting suspension/steering noises. Whats a good after market replacement?

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
exdeath said:
Hmm I have that same thing on my coupe but it's when I turn the wheel left. It creaks almost like the sound of a torque wrench every quarter turn of the wheel or so to the left, in all weather. No sound to the right, and 'resets' and creaks again going left. Nothing I've been terribly concerned about being that these are muscle cars and not Cadillacs, but if it's just a few bucks and an hour or two, might as well get rid of it next time it's up in the air.

So... just rack bushings huh? I'm not experienced with troubleshooting suspension/steering noises. Whats a good after market replacement?
I have a creak in the steering so I'm planning to do this the next time I'm home. $40 for the MMST-7 Upgrade Kit.

Replaced steering gear/rack bushings thread / MMST-7 Installation

Look up part # MMST-7 on the Maximum Motorsports website

TSB Info

exdeath

Established Member
grimreefer said:
I have a creak in the steering so I'm planning to do this the next time I'm home. $40 for the MMST-7 Upgrade Kit.

Replaced steering gear/rack bushings thread / MMST-7 Installation

Look up part # MMST-7 on the Maximum Motorsports website

TSB Info

And if one were planning on a tubular K in the future, is there a place to get new rack sleeves after cutting them for the stock K?

edit: E5DZ-3K620-A is the part number to the sleeves that must be cut to install MMST-7 bushing kit, like $5 from the dealer from what I can see

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
have a friend turn the wheel back and forth while you stand near the wheel opening and listen for the noise.

if it is coming from down below, its the rack bushings. if the noise is coming from up top, its the upper strut mount bushing.

exdeath said:

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Guys talk about this creak when they turn the wheel. Does anyone get a creak when they drive over pavement irregularities? I just want to be sure this symptom is also likely caused by steering rack bushings, before I take the effort to replace them.

exdeath

Established Member
It's definitely only when turning the wheel for me (to the left for me) and the sound comes from the right. It's a very distinct creak/tick sound that sounds like a torque wrench breaking loose or a bolt sliding in and out on its threads, etc. Knowing what it is now, I can picture exactly what is going on with the binding and twisting and thats exactly what it sounds like, binding stress being relieved.

I've been ignoring it, attributing it to the normal creaks and rattles of these kinds of cars. But after reading about it here and realizing that it's only in one direction, if it's only $25 or so and about 30 mins of work, might as well take care of it.

So now I'm curious about everyone else, does the creak occur in the wheel opposite of the direction you are turning? Creak from left wheel when turning right or right wheel when turning left?

Last edited:

sd04cobra

Established Member
I believe my cobra has a similar "creak" and was thinking that lubricating the tie-rod ends might be the fix. Looking at the SVT pamphlet, it mentions lubricating these every 1500 miles if i recall correctly. Funny thing is they list ESA-M1C92-A as the proper grease, and nobody seems to have it. Who sells this or what is the appropriate substitute (ESA-M1C75-B)?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
sd04cobra said:
was thinking that lubricating the tie-rod ends might be the fix.
I think that's unlikely. The creak is usually caused by one of the 2 things ShelbyGuy already stated.

wheelhopper

Established Member
724COBRA said:
Mine was creeking an i used the MM aluminum steering rack bushings and i love them. Great upgrade IMO

+1

I had the TSB done, which did cure the problem. Later I installed the MM aluminum steering rack bushings. No squeeks and a much tighter feel. Just do this. $40 and 40 minutes later, problem solved.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Sorry guys, once again I've gotta ask if I'm getting a persistent creak when simply driving over road irregularities (even quite small ones), is it going to be the steering rack bushings? It's driving me nuts - makes the car sound so cheap. I cringe when I'm out for a drive and pass people on the sidewalk, figuring they'll think what's wrong with that car? :nonono:

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
exdeath said:
And if one were planning on a tubular K in the future, is there a place to get new rack sleeves after cutting them for the stock K?

edit: E5DZ-3K620-A is the part number to the sleeves that must be cut to install MMST-7 bushing kit, like $5 from the dealer from what I can see

I believe the sleeves are built into the aftermarket K-members, at least that's how I remember my MM K-member being so whether you cut them now should have no bearing on getting an aftermarket K.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
T.O.Snake said:
Sorry guys, once again I've gotta ask if I'm getting a persistent creak when simply driving over road irregularities (even quite small ones), is it going to be the steering rack bushings? It's driving me nuts - makes the car sound so cheap. I cringe when I'm out for a drive and pass people on the sidewalk, figuring they'll think what's wrong with that car? :nonono:

Sorry for bumping my own post, but I've really got to get an answer on this.

I was debating taking the car in and trying the TSB route on the steering rack bushings to see if that clears it up. Then if it does, I could swap to the MM aluminum ones once mine start creaking again.

But does anyone know with decent certainty that that's likely what's happening in my situation? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread