Started My DIY Turbo kit in my 4.6 Fox Body

shaved99gt

Established Member
Started My DIY Turbo kit in my 4.6 Fox Body with Updated Pics

Finally got off my ass and started building and installing a turbo on my 1988 LX it has a swapped 4.6 2valve with an auto its awaiting Ported and Polished P.I. heads etc. The turbo is a Holset HX351 from what ive read the turbo is good to 600 to the wheels but not gonna make anything near that until i install a forged rotating assy. which i plan to do as soon as i get everything finished. I had a bunch of factory manifolds from gt's, cobras, crown vic's, and thunderbirds and after alot of messing around with them i flipped a set around and cut the flanges and welded new flanges that cleared everything perfect does not interfere with A/C, powersteering or anything probably could get a set of shorty headers and modify them to work maybe do that eventually but these seem fine for the job. ill have more pics up as i go along so far ive done all the piping from the engine to the turbo. next ill fabricate intercooler piping and mount the intercooler hopefully soon. Any way heres the pics. It should be a fun project best part my whole investment so far including the car, motorswap, and turbo and piping and intercooler has been under $500.00
fc1fe5a2.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

966e8133.jpg

d3d5a5c4.jpg

DSC03336.jpg

DSC03335.jpg

Modified manifolds (still have to grind all the welds they are just tacked so excuse the messy welds)
8962d243.jpg

passenger manifold mounted
5d6467f6.jpg

drivers side manifold mounted
c76b32aa.jpg

5a38b22a.jpg

fb190860.jpg

b88aaa2a.jpg

Last edited:

navi243

Established Member
wals9331 said:
A 4.6 in a fox? Isnt that illegal?!?! Cool though man! Keep us updated :beer:

I doubt it is illegal, I am almost certain it is only illegal in some states to use an engine older than the car. which is not the case at hand. I am almost certain that any engine newer than the car can be legally put into any car

Seancass

HELLACIOUS
Established Member
best part my whole investment so far including the car, motorswap, and turbo and piping and intercooler has been under $500.00

i hate you.

teach me.
looks like a fun project. cant wait for the vids:D

shaved99gt

Established Member
navi243 said:
I doubt it is illegal, I am almost certain it is only illegal in some states to use an engine older than the car. which is not the case at hand. I am almost certain that any engine newer than the car can be legally put into any car
illegal? are you serious or joking?
iam not sure about the size of the hot side the turbo was a freebie and it new so i figured why not but if anyone has any imput its greatly appreciated and anyway i figure if i build the kit with that turbo since it has a T4 flange i can upgrade with minimum modifications since just about anything i would want to run would have the same T4 flange. i cant wait i think its gonna be fun and i think i will really learn ALOT about turbos and kits etc. by doing this project.

wicked5_0

Established Member
shaved99gt said:
illegal? are you serious or joking?

shaved, your in LA. I'm sure it will pass ANYTHING. If you were in CA prolly not. CA and some other states have laws about only OEM engines in cars, etc..(I'm sure someone will chime in with all the info) Thanks for posting this project. It definitely has my interest. You have some killer fab skills as indicated from your first car.

91 FOX 5.0

Established Member
question

How hard is this swap, i have a 91 mustang gt and have been interested in swaping in a 4.6(cobra engine)

btw your car is awesome :bowdown:

shaved99gt

Established Member
91 FOX 5.0 said:
How hard is this swap, i have a 91 mustang gt and have been interested in swaping in a 4.6(cobra engine)

btw your car is awesome :bowdown:
not hard at all you need a K-member from a 96-04 Mustang V-6, GT,or Cobra will work as they are all the same and then you need your motor, harness, etc. but other than that its fairly easy

shaved99gt

Established Member
Faster150 said:
damn cool man but those non PI intakes crack bad at the coolant passage in the front...
yeah ive heard that iam not worried though b/c as soon as i get it running with the turbo iam swapping the Ported and Polished P.I. Head i have on it

shaved99gt

Established Member
wicked5_0 said:
shaved, your in LA. I'm sure it will pass ANYTHING. If you were in CA prolly not. CA and some other states have laws about only OEM engines in cars, etc..(I'm sure someone will chime in with all the info) Thanks for posting this project. It definitely has my interest. You have some killer fab skills as indicated from your first car.
iam not really worried about all that b/c iam positve that wont be a problem being legal. hopefully if this kit works out good my 99 will be up next for a turbo kit

shaved99gt

Established Member
Anyone have any input on what injector and mass air setup i should go with ive been leaning toward 42lb injectors and 90mm Mass Air but iam open to any suggestions also is a lightning mass air a blow through type meter iam pretty sure its not maybe someone can help me out

shaved99gt

Established Member
91 FOX 5.0 said:
do you have to make your own mounts?
no just use the factory 4.6 mounts with the 96-04 K-Member just finished the hotside of the kit to from manifold to the heads and it came out perfect no fitment issues everything worked out great the manifolds were the main key to getting everything to fit so perfect

Users who are viewing this thread