starter dont wont to start HELP

joseph02

Established Member
hello guys,
to make my problem clear. i have 2002 mustang and i swaped to lighting motor. just finished it and now need a tune and it will be ready for the street.
but what happened tho is i wanted to change the place of the battery from the front driver side to the passenger side because CAI took its place, so i had to do extension on the wires that goes to the battery. and now when i try to fire the engine everything works except the starter it is not doing anything. like there is no electricity going to it. the starter is not worn out because before i changed the place of the battery it was working great. so i tried to force firing the engine by pushing the car it worked.
now what do u guys think of the problem ?
and the second thing does anybody knows were does the black wire (-) is connected to or what are the parts that it should be connected with ? and will the black wire by any chance will make this problem ?

What i know about the wires that comes from the starter is a thick red wire that goes directly to the battery and another thin wire that goes to the and connect to another wire that is connected to the main electricity box on the driver side. if am mistaken please correct me.

jjk23

Established Member
Hi Joseph,
It sounds like you are relatively new to automotive projects.
This is OK, we all started somewhere.
I am surprised you haven't had feedback on this issue in 13 days.

The black wire (-) should be connected to the negative terminal on the battery.
The "thick red wire" (+) that goes directly to the battery is the power source for the starter motor [electric motor that rotates the engine during a cranking condition].
The smaller wire goes to a relay that is located in your fuse box.
The relay is switched by your ignition switch [start/crank position, furthest rotated key position].
When you rotate your key to "start/crank" position, the relay provides a small amount of power to the starter solenoid.
The starter solenoid is used to "switch" the power source to the starter motor.

Start with getting your battery tested.

Otherwise, it sounds like you missed a connection somewhere.
I would purchase a multimeter and verify your wiring/connections.
Make sure the extensions you added have continuity.
The "thick red wire" on the starter should have battery voltage when you check it.
You will have to figure out which relay in your fuse box is for the starter and verify that it works.
When you first start to "crank" the engine, the relay should "click".
You should be able to feel the relay "click" with your fingers.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread