Starting A Off Road Race!

TorchMach

Established Member
Hey Guys,

So I went off-roading this Saturday with my Raptor to Johnson Valley, CA. I have been there a handful of times with other Raptor owners. Only this time I found a great trail that came full circle. One rotation was like 20-25 miles I believe. Pushed the truck to it's limits and in some cases had to slow down because of the size of the woops.

On the way home I thought of maybe getting a timed race going for trucks like ours. Where the average owner can go and participate in a race proper for his truck, unlike the BAJA 1000 or something like that. I shared this idea with a few of the other Raptor owners and they loved it.

What do you guys think of the idea? If I made them sign a waiver to release me of any liability will that do? It would be a small event and I will be offering a small prize sponsored by our company. The race will be free and marked of course. No emergency personal will be hired unless it turns out to be a lot of people then of course, I can't control some knuckle head that doesn't know when to slow down. All the details still need to be ironed out, this is just the blue print.

Anything you guys recommend?
Shouldn't do it? why?
Tips?

Thanks guys,
Ruben

Krwy

Established Member
I've done something similar with Dezert Rangers, so much fun. Check out Telephone Rd and make the run to Vegas thru the desert, THAT is awesome.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
on bikes we use Strava to track and record our time. run a particular route and challenge others to do the same. it allows people the opportunity to run when they have time.

Strava | Running and Cycling GPS Tracker, Performance Analytics, Maps, Clubs and Competition

something like that would be cool for off-road truck races... aaaand cars! shit i'm a genius!!!

is there something already out there like this for cars? point A to B in X amount of time but not an organized event?

Watson91

Established Member
The trail you found could likely have been left over from King of the Hammers. One of the biggest / most challenging off road races in America. It takes place right in Johnson Valley and actually happened only a few short weekends ago.

2014 Griffin King of The Hammers Presented by Nitto Tire | Ultra4Racing.com

As for the race, I say it sounds like a bad idea all around. Without the proper equipment, man power, and insurance you are in for some deep doodoo if someone was to get hurt/injured.

Last edited:

TorchMach

Established Member
on bikes we use Strava to track and record our time. run a particular route and challenge others to do the same. it allows people the opportunity to run when they have time.

Strava | Running and Cycling GPS Tracker, Performance Analytics, Maps, Clubs and Competition

something like that would be cool for off-road truck races... aaaand cars! shit i'm a genius!!!

is there something already out there like this for cars? point A to B in X amount of time but not an organized event?

That sounds fun, especially if you can all go on your own time. I don't believe there is anything like that for trucks or cars. This I want to be more of a event maybe twice a year and is too rough for cars...even rally wouldn't hang.

The trail you found could likely have been left over from King of the Hammers. One of the biggest / most challenging off road races in America. It takes place right in Johnson Valley and actually happened only a few short weekends ago.

2014 Griffin King of The Hammers Presented by Nitto Tire | Ultra4Racing.com

As for the race, I say it sounds like a bad idea all around. Without the proper equipment, man power, and insurance you are in for some deep doodoo if someone was to get hurt/injured.

I know about that event, that trail is CRAZY tough, our trucks wouldn't be able to handle 1/4 of that trail. This is more for the "every day" kinda truck. A race for stock trucks, pre-runners, etc...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I would call it a run, that is completely voluntary not a race. I dont think you want to deal with insurance for competitors, emt's on site, etc. Either way I would definitely talk to a lawyer first.

Last thing you want is to lose your house because some jackass did something stupid and flipped his truck, and then blames you for liable the "race" promoter.

A trail ride or run every year or twice a year is a great idea!:beer:

Last edited:

TorchMach

Established Member
I've done something similar with Dezert Rangers, so much fun. Check out Telephone Rd and make the run to Vegas thru the desert, THAT is awesome.

Cool man, I'll check it out! I need to get a GPS system and upload the run to Vegas from Barstow. I know it;s online somewhere.

My main concern if I do this is am I liable for anything? Say I get a group of people together and tell them. "Hey let's race around this trail, the one to do it faster wins this gift card" and let's play devils advocate, let's say one guy rolls and dies. Am I liable for any of that?

Krwy

Established Member
I would say yes. If its just a fun event, no awards or anything I think you'll be fine. Every time I went out to the desert it was just a day to tear up the truck and nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread