starting issue

whitefiveo

Established Member
okay it doesnt happen all the time, seem like it only does it after it has been started and shutoff a few times during that day but when you turn the key it turns over quite a bit more than it should to fire up, and when it does it kinda sputters and then runs fine.. any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

tt54l32v

Established Member
start with an iac to verify give it a very little bit of throttle and if it fires up replace iac

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
i've had similar problems and i also got a new iac. it seemed to do the trick for a while but ocassionally after my car has been running and then sitting for an hr or so it just won
t turn over. when i let it sit for a while longer it will start right up. it's very annoying because it usually does it when i'm in a hurry. i could never figure it out. it always starts first thing in the morning though.

tt54l32v

Established Member
oh check to see if the tb is dirty check timing, check for bleed down of fuel pump, check coolant temp sensor

whitefiveo

Established Member
oh check to see if the tb is dirty check timing, check for bleed down of fuel pump, check coolant temp sensor

how do you check the coolant temp sensor? I did notice today that when i first start the car that the electric fans are coming on as soon as it fires up, i thought they only came on after the car reaches a certain temp...

tt54l32v

Established Member
how do you check the coolant temp sensor? I did notice today that when i first start the car that the electric fans are coming on as soon as it fires up, i thought they only came on after the car reaches a certain temp...

well i use a scaner but you can ohm it out if you can find the specs on it

whitefiveo

Established Member
this SUCKS and really starting to get on my nerves. its steadily getting worse every time i get in it never starts up the first time i turn the key.. it will just turn over and over and over and never fire up... after the first attempt to start it fails i turn the key off and try to start it again, and it seems to fire up prematurely like the first time the starter turns over it will fire up and then run horrible until i give it some gas. please help. im totally lost.. i have replaced battery, iac, tps, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil...

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
try cleaning your maf meter and air filter. i've had similar problems and thought the same thing and never even considered the air filter and maf meter. i have a afm powerpipe so it's in the fenderwell so it's not easily accessible but i had to take a look. my filter was disguisting and i'm guessing the cause of my car not starting after it's been running. i cleaned the filter with a k&n kit and cleaned the maf meter with some maf meter cleaner spray i got at pep boys. so far no problems.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Check PCV valve at rear of intake,could be stuck open.Check for cracked,leaking hose on top of PCV valve.Basically a vacuum leak. Simple check! Could also be ignition related.Check for coil spark/plug spark when it will not fire up. Good Luck!!

Hockeyman48

Established Member
You are thinking coil packs for mod motors, reg. coils for 302 motors are pretty good. I believe the module you are looking for is on pass. fender well under iat sensor on air intake.It has ribbed heat sink about 4 in. x 4in. Some one correct me if I'm wrong on this part! The ccrm (constant control relay module) controls fan,it may be starting to go,but it receives signals from other sensors like the coolant sensor mentioned earlier.A Ford manual would really help you.

whitefiveo

Established Member
well, finally broke down and took it to a shop... it is the MAF sensor... when i first bought the car i installed a jlt true cold air kit which moved my MAF sensor to the very bottom of the front fender... and it eventually got wet from driving in the rain... so it shorted it out... i have one question though, the shop i took it to is telling me the iac motor which i recently replaced is bad too... would a shorted out MAF sensor cause the iac motor to act up? i think the shop is just tryin to get some extra money out of me, the one on the car is only a few months old...

Users who are viewing this thread