Starting my diet

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Eventually, this is going to be a track car, so some parts are coming out. First to go was the AC. Now the stock seats have been replaced with Corbeau LG1s. I had them recovered in vinyl and cloth in the center by Al's in Waipahu. I also deleted the rear seat. What you can't see is that I filled the cavity under the seat with foam and cut slits for the seat belts, so I can't still put my kid's booster seat in and take him for a ride. I love it. The seats sit a bit lower, which is nice because I am 6'4". Also, that driver's seat weighs a ton! Getting rid of that alone is worth it.

P1290029_zps6801b511.jpg

P1290030_zps267f4e81.jpg

P1290028_zps9b5f01a0.jpg

Rotzs99

Established Member
Looks great. Couple questions for you. Why did you go with the vinyl/cloth combo? Also why did you go with LG1 say over CR1? I'm also 6'4" and wondering how the shoulder bolsters and thigh bolsters would fit. The stock seats side bolsters are getting crushed in my car as it is especially clutch side. I'm not fat by any means, but with the lack of room you have to drive like you're riding a horse. Pun intended. I'm sure you can relate. I'm probably going to do a similar build as yours, but not as radical on the engine side.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I have noticed that the microsuede stuff tends to fade. I live in Hawaii, so I needed the most durable stuff I could get. This is special cloth that holds up to fading better. It is really for a few reasons though, cloth is lighter and will help you stay in the seat better. The vinyl is super durable and won't wear as bad. Plus, I just like the look. It is almost like the leather/alcantra of the 03/04 Cobras, just not as smooth. I got the LG1 seats on ebay, so that was part of it. But, before that, I found a Corbeau dealer that actually had seats in stock and I sat in them. The CR1s have a big bolster in the thigh area, which makes it harder to get in and out. I also have the wide LG1 seats. I don't feel crammed in at all and I'm a pretty big guy. I played O-line in college and I still run about 250 with a 38" waist.

I have not weighed what I took off, so I'm not sure the total weight.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
please do not put your kid in the back seat, that rear seat delete is not designed for or crash tested. I know you mean well but you cold end up killing your kid. It is not worth it.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
please do not put your kid in the back seat, that rear seat delete is not designed for or crash tested. I know you mean well but you cold end up killing your kid. It is not worth it.

You know the stock seat is just a piece of foam right? The protection comes from the seat belts that are bolted to the unibody and from the sheet metal of the body. I supported the delete so that it will hold the wieght. If I can sit on it, it will hold a 50lb kid and his car seat.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Looks awesome man! I'm going to corbeau's and have been thinking about pulling my AC as well, couldn't tell you the last time I had it turned on. Those LG1's look so much better with the vinyl outers, I wish corbeau offered them like that.

And the rear seat delete looks great, as long as the car seat wouldn't slide I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. If you can sit on it and the seatbelts are still bolted to the body then in all technically it is a seat.

Last edited:

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
I deleted my AC last summer, and where i am in Canada....AC is not needed! I also picked up Corbeau FX1's along with MM control arms/Coilovers/CC plates. Me and a buddy are gonna pick up a Proform scale in the spring, i'll post up a huge thread in spring.

No way you could get in the FX1 Pro's....i'm 6", 180 and i'm tight!

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
You know the stock seat is just a piece of foam right? The protection comes from the seat belts that are bolted to the unibody and from the sheet metal of the body. I supported the delete so that it will hold the wieght. If I can sit on it, it will hold a 50lb kid and his car seat.

Don't forget that seat belts are only effective if they are positioned correctly. Lowering the seating position by several inches will change the belt position on the occupants body and reduce the effectiveness, and could actually cause injury.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I deleted my AC last summer, and where i am in Canada....AC is not needed! I also picked up Corbeau FX1's along with MM control arms/Coilovers/CC plates. Me and a buddy are gonna pick up a Proform scale in the spring, i'll post up a huge thread in spring.

No way you could get in the FX1 Pro's....i'm 6", 180 and i'm tight!

That's why I have the LG1 wides:beer:

Don't forget that seat belts are only effective if they are positioned correctly. Lowering the seating position by several inches will change the belt position on the occupants body and reduce the effectiveness, and could actually cause injury.

True, but do you know the purpose of a booster seat? It positions the seat belt so that it is in the right spot. It really has no other use. It isn't even latched to the car like an infant car seat. It just sits on the seat surface. The belt is routed through the booster so that the straps cross the kid across the chest/shoulders vice the face.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
If you're gonna delete the A/C, you might as well just delete the entire HVAC system and ductwork behind the dash.. Otherwise the weight and performance savings are negligible, given such a huge sacrifice in driveability.

If you don't mind giving up the A/C, it's your car... but IMHO, the A/C would be the last thing to go on anything besides a track only drag car.

There are lots of other ways to drop weight, like a tubular K-Member & front suspension, coilover IRS kit, or even a solid axle swap.. Removal of sound deadening, lighter wheels, carbon fiber decklid, hood, front fenders (even stock appearing ones).

You can also get an aluminum flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, lighter exhaust, such as turn-downs...

Whoever is considering deleting the A/C... DON'T DO IT!! The compressor is hidden low so you can't even see it, unlike the 5.0 pushrod cars where it was right on top.

There are also lots of magnesium and composite parts you can get to reduce weight as well.

You can even replace a lot of the steel fasteners throughout the engine compartment and interior with aluminum fasteners (for non-load bearing applications). That should save at least 10 pounds...

My goal is to reduce as much weight as possible while at the same time making no compromises in comfort or driveability.

In Florida, that means never getting rid of the A/C.. haha..

Homer

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Well, I have alot of that other little stuff, aluminum parts, fiberglass hood and what not. The AC was easy for me to delete because I like cruising with the windows down, I actually broke off a port for a sensor when I was putting my radiator back in, and I already had the motor out with the compressor off. All it took was a $35 pulley and it was gone. I have not pulled the HVAC yet because I still use the defroster from time to time when the windshield fogs up. Once this is a track only car, all that will come too. BTW, that compressor is a heavy bitch and right on the nose of the car, so it is worth ditching, even with out the HVAC in my opinion. That delete pulley spins easier than the clutch on the compressor too.

01cobracmdr

Established Member
Just wondering, how much weight reduction would you have to do for it to be actually "worth it"? Not saying yours isn't worth it, but like how much weight reduction is a good achievable goal for a non track only car? In your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread