Starting Problem...

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
At times when starting my car as I turn the key the car starts up but quickly the RPM drops and turns off. Other times when I turn the key the car struggles to stay on before dying out, the RPM needle goes up and down then eventually dies. The funny part is that more the half of the time the car starts up normal, no problems at all. Can anyone give me some advise on what they might think...

CY98Cobra

Established Member
it must be the color, mine does almost the same thing. if i try to start it with the car warm sometimes it will crank for awhile then start but idle really low. if i hit the gas it will idle normal and be fine. if starting when cold it will fire right up and idle fine.

RIXSVT

Established Member
I have the same starting problem with my 98 cobra. I wouldnt mind resolving this problem because I can see it becoming embarrasing one day.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
thats funny mine does it too, exactly the same, what i think is that it is loading up on fuel for some reason and it is like it is flooded, cause one time it did it and all kinds of smoke came out the back when i revved it to keep it running, and it doesnt normally do that, but what cuases it i have no clue

Waitn4aBreak

Established Member
Mine did the samething. I also have a friend with a 98 and his does it too. Try turning the car on without turning it over and let the fuel pump turn on and get some fuel to the injectors before actually starting it. it worked for me for a while. But if anyone finds the REAL reason please post it.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Mine does it to sometimes! (Go figure.) I've read and heard some folks on here say it had to do with fuel pressure at startup, and some replaced regulators and fuel pumps. Try turning the ignition on, and do what WAITIN said, let the pressure build up before cranking it. See if that has an effect. That seems to help mine.

AIT sensor might also be the culprit, but as long as you can throttle her up and get running...why bother replacing it? When you're stuck idling funny for a long time, then maybe worry about it. So far I just call it them my "weekly reminder" that I bought a Ford. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread