Starting Problems '00 GT

Force Fed 4g63

Established Member
So when I left work yesterday, went to start the car (2000 Mustang GT) and it ran fine for about 10 seconds, then died. After that I tried to start it and it would crank but not start. It was cranking fine but just wouldn't start, sounded like it wasn't even trying to start. My wife came and tried to jump me after that. After I hooked up the batteries for the jump, the car wouldn't even crank, just completely dead. It was cranking fine before I hooked up the battery, but after I jumped it absolutely nothing. If I put the key in and turn it to the on position, the dash lights will come on, but as soon as I go to crank it, everything dies, no lights, no cranking, no turning over, absolutely nothing.

I used the remote to unlock the car, then the dash lights came back on. Tried to crank it again and everything just dies again. I left the car at work, then came back this morning and tried it again, same thing happening. I have no clue whatsoever what's going on. The car has a brand new battery (less than a week) on it, and this hasn't happened before. I'm not a complete newb when it comes to cars, but I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery? It is possible your alternator died and is no longer charging your battery. Your local autozone can test the alternator.

Force Fed 4g63

Established Member
I do have one but not here at work. I'll check that out once I get the car home. I've had bad alternators before and this doesn't strike me as that. Didn't have problems before, and was cranking fine before I tried to jump it. Then all of the sudden it's completely dead.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Maybe check your fuses and some wiring while you are at it. You may have a bad connection somewhere. Maybe a bad/loose ground wire.

Users who are viewing this thread