Starting the academy Monday... (LEO's only please)

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
I got on with the Arizona DPS (highway patrol), and begin the academy on Monday. I'm 23 years old, and just finished college. I'm from Wichita, Kansas and have lived at home my entire life. I get along w/ my family great and am gonna miss them, but I'm so excited to get on w/ my life/career! This will be my first time away from home (1200 miles away haha), and I'm kinda starting to get the nervous/gittery feelings I knew would come along w/ leaving. My family is sad to see me go, but is very supportive and proud that I'm pursuing a dream that's been in my heart for a long time. I guess I just would like to know if ya'll have any pointers or tips (aside from "I hope you're in shape! haha) that would benefit me while going through the academy? I'm in great physical shape, and working out is a part of my lifestyle. I think the physical aspect of it all will be more of a "stress reliever" rather than a "stressor" for me. So overall, could you give me some helpful advice? Thanks in advance!

Brandon

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Once you get settled in Arizona with a place to live and the logistics are out of the way I am sure the academy will give you plenty to occupy your time. Not only physically but mentally. Remember it is like a college. You will be expected to know the material and be able to use it. Get a good phone plan and call home each night. Once there, you will have others in your academy class with the same circumstance and I am sure some locals will take you under their wing.

Remember this is a new chapter in your life and it is exciting and will be challenging as well as fun. If DPS didnt think you could do it well, they would not have hired you.

You will be fine. You just have too much time to think about the unknown right now.

jurob

Established Member
first of all congrats!

have a good time and always be yourself. the real training starts when you finish.

its hard being away from home for the first time. i joined the navy when i was 17y/o. wasnt to close to my family, but boy did i write some sappy letters.

listen, listen, listen, and don't be late!

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Congratulations,
Yes, you will get homesick. It seems like the first two weeks are the toughest with paperwork and getting into a routine. My academy was six months long and we were not allowed to make any phone the first week. Biggest advice I can give you is, "take it one day at a time and never-ever give up."
Texas State Trooper

mvcrash

Established Member
Congrats on your appointment. I agree, the ADPS would not have invested in you if they felt you could not make it through the academy AND be an asset to their organization.
If you get home sick, call home.

I have trained A LOT of FNG's over the course of my career and here is the one thing that I have told them all. Don't do anything you would be embarrassed to put on the front page of your local newspaper.

Best part of being a 23 year old cop...BADGE BUNNIES!!!!!!!!! Hop on Cop!!!!!Hopity Hopity Hop!!!

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
Thank you guys for the advice! I'll be sure and keep these things noted in the back of my mind! I'm getting real anxious to see what it's gonna be like...only a few more days! My mom and I start the drive down there tomorrow morning.

cornholio

Established Member
Understand that the accademy will be a tool for you. As previously stated, the real training starts during your riding assignment as a rookie. You will apply your training from the accademy and find out that there was is so much more.

Keep and open mind and get through it. Just like with any sort of training or extended classroom enviornment, will get a small circle of friends that you will confine, learn, and hang out with. It is what ever you make it. Enjoy.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
At least for me, the toughest part of my career was in the academy/FTEP. Once you make it thru there, its all downhill for the next 25 years!! Stay focused. Always look at the "big picture", not whats in your face at the moment. Good luck.

Spade

Established Member
CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK!!

BTW, is your academy a live-in academy or do you get to go home every night?

Spade

SPD03Snake

2 Snakes in my Garage...
Established Member
Congrats and enjoy. It is great to see another brother joining a great profession.

You also have a great choice in color/car and first names!!!

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
Thanks again for all the advice and props! It all starts tomorrow! I'm nervous, but excited at the same time. I'm really ready for it to start cuz I'm sitting out here in my hotel room 1200 miles from home, and have had nothing to do all weekend.

Spade,

I have evenings and weekends off, but I can't really go home cuz I'm from Kansas.

SamsonXD

Established Member
Biggest piece of advice i would say is integrity and common sense, do what you know is right and don't get caught up in situations which might put you in a bad light, some examples I can think of was the guy in the class a head of me who went downtown in his academy outfit and tried to pick up a prostitute only to find it was an undercover vice officer.

Then there was the one who wrote what he thought might be on a test on the inside of his arm and then wore a short sleeve shirt to formation,

There will be plenty of time for fun and messing around just get off probation first, we have a new agent less then a year on the job get arrested for DUI, and some other things, just remember you are held to a higher standard, we also have another agent who is facing 365 years in jail and upteen million dollars in fines for making stupid decisions.

The point is you are in the academy to learn and not take for granted that which you worked so hard to achieve, enjoy the experience yes but work hard, study hard and realize there are probably 100 other people who would love to be where you are at right now.

And above all Congrats on your new career you will love it.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Some more good advice: Keep your ears & eyes open and your mouth shut. (Thats what my Dad told me when I left for bootcamp) It proved to be valuable advice. Don't argue with instructors, no "Well I heard that if ,...blah, blah, blah".

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
Thanks for the advice and stories! haha Yes, from what I understand it's best to keep my mouth shut for the most part. I'll keep ya'll updated on how things go tomorrow. This is actually a week of "pre-academy" so I'm really not sure what to expect tomorrow. The actual academy begins next Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread