State Farm will no longer insure California businesses or homes

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
State Farm says the risk is too high in California and will no longer issue homes or businesses there.

I’m hearing from several agents in the industry that other insurers are in the processing of getting out or will be very soon.

I guess all those woke politics and green measures aren’t so popular after all when it affects the bottom line.

It is because fire damages have been excessive. It has nothing to do with politics.

Leftists will claim it is because climate change has increased the frequency of fire.

The correct answer is that expensive homes have increasing been built in areas vulnerable to fire and home price inflation has made it super hard to price this risk.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Up north to a less populated state. We are taking 2 weeks in July to go looking for land in SD, WY and MT.

I really like what I've seen in Hot Springs / Spearfish parts of SD.
Spearfish and Black Hills area is beautiful And still affordable. One of the last places that still retains the old feeling of Americana. Rugged individualists that are 99% not liberal. Summer and fall are beautiful weather. Winter and early spring - stay in Texas.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Spearfish and Black Hills area is beautiful And still affordable. One of the last places that still retains the old feeling of Americana. Rugged individualists that are 99% not liberal. Summer and fall are beautiful weather. Winter and early spring - stay in Texas.

I spent my first 30 years in Northern Iowa, I don't mind the cold and snow.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
It is because fire damages have been excessive. It has nothing to do with politics.

Leftists will claim it is because climate change has increased the frequency of fire.

The correct answer is that expensive homes have increasing been built in areas vulnerable to fire and home price inflation has made it super hard to price this risk.
Are these fire areas the same where CA government cut fire mitigation funding?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Adding that insurers refuse to wrote hurricane risk in FL for the same reason. This risk is socialized through FL Citizens. Many would not be able to live on FL if they had to pay the actual cost of insurance.

rborden

Established Member

It absolutely has everything to do with politics.

Liberals and the tree hugging organizations refuse to allow the trees to be sprayed for pine beetles and other tree destroying insects. When these trees are killed, it creates mass amounts of dead, dry timber, which is fuel for wildfires. They won’t let the logging companies go in and clear dead timber.

The NFS (National Forest Service) has had their hands tied by Democrats and their poor forest management policies for years.

Additionally most mountain towns dont have fire breaks or wildfire mitigation measures in place.

There’s been mountain homes and cabin’s for decades with no issues.

Inflation, house prices and increased costs for materials are a part of it as well.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Interesting thing as well, you can NOT buy warranty outside of California for all? MFGs.

Ex. If I wanted to buy or extend my Ford warranty from Ford ESP, I can only buy within the state of CA and no longer from outside the state like previous years.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So, if the insurers pull out of CA, would the state become an insurer? I'm thinking what happens if ALL of the insurers were to pull out.

The state already is an insurer. It's called the California Fair plan and it's terrible.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Another big insurance company has quietly stopped selling home insurance in California. Allstate, which in 2021 was the fourth-largest property and casualty insurance provider in the state, is no longer writing new homeowner, condo, or commercial insurance policies there, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
hurricane IDA pretty much sealed the fate of insurance companies in Louisiana. My insurance through Allstate went up $800 a year to $2900, which isn't bad. however, a significant portion of homeowners in my area have an escrow larger than their mortgage. my parents home was quoted at $9k a year for insurance. they are 68 and 63, basically retired on SS. they simply cannot afford to have insurance, but thankfully their house is paid off.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
How has the Carolinas fared with Hurricanes and insurance?

For a while Florida got lucky but it seemed storms went to Georgia/Carolina/Louisiana and Texas.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
It absolutely has everything to do with politics.

Liberals and the tree hugging organizations refuse to allow the trees to be sprayed for pine beetles and other tree destroying insects. When these trees are killed, it creates mass amounts of dead, dry timber, which is fuel for wildfires. They won’t let the logging companies go in and clear dead timber.

The NFS (National Forest Service) has had their hands tied by Democrats and their poor forest management policies for years.

Additionally most mountain towns dont have fire breaks or wildfire mitigation measures in place.

There’s been mountain homes and cabin’s for decades with no issues.

Inflation, house prices and increased costs for materials are a part of it as well.
This was precisely the point I was indicating.....

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
The same thing is happening in Colorado and probably many states and areas out west.

We got denied by 32 insurance companies.

On our 6 acres we did a forest health study, cut down over 400 trees, cleared all the brush, literally raked so many pine needles out of the area that we over filed a 30 yard dumpster (with pine needles alone), removed all flammable materials from around the home, etc.

The following year, after completing the above, we got denied again by the same 32 companies. One underwriter told me that because of how the fire scoring works (flammable materials within 1 MILE of the home) that I could literally clear cut and pave my 6 acres and he still couldn't write me a policy.

We pretty much immediately sold the house and moved back to the city. I wasn't going to own a house with only 2 options for insurance (and one of those was a non-admitted carrier). What happens when there are NO companies willing to write a policy? What happens when there is a catastrophic fire in the area and there are only two companies to take the losses?

Users who are viewing this thread