Attachments

• gt350_Fender_sm.jpg
    gt350_Fender_sm.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
We know how to explore a city - but its a lot harder when you're a 30 minute drive away from the heart of the city.

We just left a very nice 4 bed/2.5 bath house in Houston in a really nice area and rented a nice house before that up in the Dallas area the two years prior to that. It was nice but it wasn't really giving us the lifestyle we want. We're wanting to be more social. In Houston the next youngest people to my wife and I in our neighborhood were like 60 years old. lol.

Also, we're both engineers - we go where the jobs are so being able to just point to a specific city and say "there" isn't really feasible for us. She has to work in Portland and I have to work north of Vancouver. I'll be going away from traffic.

You're an engineer too, so if you want to buy a house, you can afford it.

I guarantee there are houses in Portland within your budget, close enough to the heart of the city that you can still go out on weeknights like normal city dwellers in their twenties (myself and my fiance). According to CityData, the city closest in comparison to my city is actually Portland, believe it or not.

It will be difficult to find, but if you are in a good financial situation and can afford to jump IMMEDIATELY then you'll get something good. Same way you buy a car. Sit on your money till the right one comes around. My house went the VERY DAY it came up for sale. Dozens of competing offers. You just gotta know the market.

Home ownership isn't for everyone, but it definitely was the right choice for me. I know you're wanting an apartment because you think it will be cheaper / easier to socialize, but owning a home close to downtown really is the best of both worlds. We go out several times a week and our friends are over all the time. Throwing parties is a ton of fun. It's quickly becoming the "meet up spot" before we all go out downtown. Portland seems like a pretty cool city and I know you don't want to get stuck too far away... I'm just thinking if you like cars, you won't be happy in a tiny little apartment for very long. I liked it for a while, but this is better for me.

starnsey

Established Member
While $6,500 is not a drop in the bucket, you both are engineers, and if you want to try something out now is the time to do it.

You're not buying/stuck in it if you hate it. Try out Portland.

That's sort of how I'm leaning. Worst case just bail out after a year.

Mustangs in Moab are good too. :)

Damn, that's awesome. Driving through there on my way up to Washington was absolutely breathtaking. Can't imagine what its like actually out on the trails.

You're an engineer too, so if you want to buy a house, you can afford it.

I guarantee there are houses in Portland within your budget, close enough to the heart of the city that you can still go out on weeknights like normal city dwellers in their twenties (myself and my fiance). According to CityData, the city closest in comparison to my city is actually Portland, believe it or not.

It will be difficult to find, but if you are in a good financial situation and can afford to jump IMMEDIATELY then you'll get something good. Same way you buy a car. Sit on your money till the right one comes around. My house went the VERY DAY it came up for sale. Dozens of competing offers. You just gotta know the market.

Home ownership isn't for everyone, but it definitely was the right choice for me. I know you're wanting an apartment because you think it will be cheaper / easier to socialize, but owning a home close to downtown really is the best of both worlds. We go out several times a week and our friends are over all the time. Throwing parties is a ton of fun. It's quickly becoming the "meet up spot" before we all go out downtown. Portland seems like a pretty cool city and I know you don't want to get stuck too far away... I'm just thinking if you like cars, you won't be happy in a tiny little apartment for very long. I liked it for a while, but this is better for me.

Yeah we'll see. We just sold our house in Houston which we bought with 10% down. I won't want to buy again unless we've got 20% to put down. Also, I need to talk to my new boss and see what the projected timeline is and if there will be any reason in the next five years that we'd be moving back to the Seattle area. If so, then I'd probably just deal with renting regardless.

CO Mack

Established Member
Damn, that's awesome. Driving through there on my way up to Washington was absolutely breathtaking. Can't imagine what its like actually out on the trails.

Actually bought my GT350 in TX, so I was on the same drive as you. :) The Mrs and I are planning to take our bikes there this summer, but haven't done it yet.

starnsey

Established Member
Actually bought my GT350 in TX, so I was on the same drive as you. :) The Mrs and I are planning to take our bikes there this summer, but haven't done it yet.

Its an incredible drive once you're out of Texas/Albuquerque. And if you can avoid the snowstorms (I drove through one in New Mexico and one at the beginning of Utah).

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
What kind of pets do you have? I have 3 dogs one of which is a Dane and know full well the plight of which a renter with a large breed dog brings. But don't always take a rental's advertisement at face value. The owner of the property may be willing to negotiate.

starnsey

Established Member
What kind of pets do you have? I have 3 dogs one of which is a Dane and know full well the plight of which a renter with a large breed dog brings. But don't always take a rental's advertisement at face value. The owner of the property may be willing to negotiate.

He's just a 55 lb aussie shepherd mix - not on the no breeds list but right on the edge of a few places limits. So I just call him "50 lbs".

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Then you should be good. Even the places that say no pets, just contact the property management company and talk to them.

Users who are viewing this thread