State REF (California BS)

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Just to add to the thread, I am currently going through the process of returning my 03 cobra back to stock because I have also ben sent to the ref. I changed out my mid pipes to have 4 cats, changed my upper and lower pullies back to their stock sizes, removed my KB BAP, have a CARB approved CAI and had Ford reset my ECU back to stock. Next up is changing out my fuel injectors back to the stock 39lbs.
Do I really need to remove my Temp and boost gauges from the car? sounds a bit excessive to me

I removed them and plugged the holes with some plastic plugs from Amazon just in case. Not worth a fail for a 5 minute fix.

claybeatz

Established Member
Just to add to the thread, I am currently going through the process of returning my 03 cobra back to stock because I have also ben sent to the ref. I changed out my mid pipes to have 4 cats, changed my upper and lower pullies back to their stock sizes, removed my KB BAP, have a CARB approved CAI and had Ford reset my ECU back to stock. Next up is changing out my fuel injectors back to the stock 39lbs.
Do I really need to remove my Temp and boost gauges from the car? sounds a bit excessive to me
Yea man just put it 100% back to stock not work the trouble of having to get pushed back another month or two for inspection again

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Serous question....if you are required to go to a State Ref, does that mean you cannot drive your car? If you do, I'm guessing it's a fat fine or even impounded? I guess I google it....

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Serous question....if you are required to go to a State Ref, does that mean you cannot drive your car? If you do, I'm guessing it's a fat fine or even impounded? I guess I google it....

If your tags are expired you run the risk, otherwise you can have it towed back and forth to the Ref.

I would hope a LEO would have mercy if you had all your paperwork with you and confirmation of the appointment you were heading to...

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
Sold my car before I got handed one lol bunch of folks I know got reffed. If your car isn't heavily modded should be relatively easy to pass just gotta make your tune is factory and your upper and lower pulley is stock since they actually measure them.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
Lol, but they let Democrat voters loot stores all day long.

mytjojo

Established Member
I don't know if i want to keep swaping out parts every 2 years to pass smog. I don't want to leave it stock but I might not have a choice. Anyone have thoughts on that? No I'm not moving sorry :)

claybeatz

Established Member
Yes technically. Don’t drive the car much only if you have to. Keep your proof of appointment and go back to stock asap. Don’t worry you’ll get through this buddy. Just have to be smart

claybeatz

Established Member
I don't know if i want to keep swaping out parts every 2 years to pass smog. I don't want to leave it stock but I might not have a choice. Anyone have thoughts on that? No I'm not moving sorry :)
You’ll get really good at it trust me. Now I can go back to stock from FBO and the inverse in an afternoon

HPLouis

Established Member
F that noise. You serious, Clark?
Yeah, I don't have EGR and I have long tubes, 2 gutted cats instead of the stock 4, aftermarket cat back, aftermarket tune, no over the shoulder seat belts and window tint. NYC won't pass this car.

Right now, I'm registered until 2024 so I'm driving around but after 2024, I won't be allowed to re-register the car without putting it back to stock and getting an inspection. I can't park on the street or in public places since the car has no inspection sticker and they'll ticket me. I'll figure something out before 2024. If I can't, then I'll just wait until the car turns 25 years old, in 2029, and then I won't need inspection and then re-register the car.

I was thinking of registering the car out of state, but the police are cracking down on that and I don't want any tickets, impound or problems with NYC.

Fopar

Established Member
Don't do it, it's a load of shit I don't know who started that rumor. I went through the ref in 2020 with boost and AFR gauges (and a 2.9 whipple). I had bypassed my catch can and he even said that was un-necessary.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Yeah, I don't have EGR and I have long tubes, 2 gutted cats instead of the stock 4, aftermarket cat back, aftermarket tune, no over the shoulder seat belts and window tint. NYC won't pass this car.

Right now, I'm registered until 2024 so I'm driving around but after 2024, I won't be allowed to re-register the car without putting it back to stock and getting an inspection. I can't park on the street or in public places since the car has no inspection sticker and they'll ticket me. I'll figure something out before 2024. If I can't, then I'll just wait until the car turns 25 years old, in 2029, and then I won't need inspection and then re-register the car.

I was thinking of registering the car out of state, but the police are cracking down on that and I don't want any tickets, impound or problems with NYC.

I hate to say it, but selling and picking up a more modern stock GT500/comparable might be your best bet, if you don't want to deal with the current hassles.

OSU34

Established Member
Don't do it, it's a load of shit I don't know who started that rumor. I went through the ref in 2020 with boost and AFR gauges (and a 2.9 whipple). I had bypassed my catch can and he even said that was un-necessary.
not true. I got reffed the same year and the guy told me that boost gauges are not allowed. It probably depends on the guy who’s conducting the inspection. Do it once, do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread