STEEDA 5 Link vs Torque Arm and Panhard Bar

VenemousStang

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra with solid axle swap making about 650rwtq. I am looking to upgrade the rear suspension to a better handling one as well as one that will support my power. I have done the cheap version which includes the UCAs, LCAs, and springs. I have been debating between a torque arm and panhard bar setup from MM or maybe Griggs or the STEEDA 5 link setup. Has anyone installed one or the other with some feedback of the two setups? All info would be appreciated thanks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Do the tq-arm and panhard.. There is a reason the fastest cars in AIX, AI, etc run that setup..

VenemousStang

Established Member
Thats what I am leaning towards but I have found that the 5 link apparently has better antisquat geometry and less corner-exit understeer.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
I have also been thinking about one of these 2 options for my next build. Which one is better for the street? Which one has less NVH? How much power will the 5 link hold? Pros? Cons?

VenemousStang

Established Member
I've talked with STEEDA and they said the 5 link will support my power level with room to grow. As far as for the street both setups are street friendly but the bigger question remains if you are doing more drag racing or road racing/autocross. I have heard the torque arm setup is better for drag and the 5 link the opposite. But in my research I found both types of racing crowds have mixed setups so I think in the end it just comes down to preference. Like I said in an earlier post the only real performance difference is that the 5 link has less corner-exit understeer and better antisquat geometry.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Did Steeda give you a tq limit this thing will hold up to? I'm kinda leaning towards the 5-link myself. I just think possibly that the tq arm setup will transfer too much vibration to the floor for my liking??

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
How far is Gainsville from Pensacola??

Shit nvm just looked it up.. Are you going to be in P-cola anytime soonish?? You are more than welcome to drive my car and see how you like it.

VenemousStang

Established Member
steeda couldnt give me an exact number but said they have had the setup on a 750+tq car with no problems.

If i head towards the pensacola area i will def take you up on that offer

germeezy1

Established Member
What are your goals, and plans for this car? The factory IRS if modified correctly (Kenny Brown), and with a fairly open budget can provide most of what you are looking for. If you want to stay SRA then I would definitely run an adjustable panhard bar, and a torque arm instead of the Steeda 5 link. When selecting the suspension for our shop Mustang we did a lot of research but the Griggs GR40 kit was the best solution in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ruslow

Established Member
I have had both on several cars and go back to the 5 link.main reason is ground clearance.the TA you will loose about 1.4 inches.the 5 link none.The down side to both is exhaust but worse on the 5 link[original].I am at 500 rwhp and 11 inch wide tires and no problems with the 5 link.I open track road race and do high speed runs[silverstate].I do like the adjustablity of the 5 link and how long the panhard rod is so side to side movement is bacisly non existant.Stan

VenemousStang

Established Member
I am going to stick with the sra. My plans are to do some road racing events and occasionally going to the drag strip. GERMEEZY1 what made you decide on the griggs setup over the the Maximum Motorsports setup for example?

VenemousStang

Established Member
Ruslow I would like to keep my tail pipes so the steeda 5 link 2 would be more attractive versus the original. Have you heard anything bad about the new design?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The reason why I choose the Griggs setup on the front end of my car was cost.. actually. Most people don't actually add up everything little thing you need from MM. Oil relocation, sway bar relocation, relacation for this and that, and then add this and that because you relocated everything.

When you add up everything the Griggs kit right around the same price if not cheaper for the k-member and control arms.. But all I needed was the kmember and control arms not coilovers, cc plates, shocks, springs, bumpsteer etc..

For the rear I'm running a MM PHB.. Main reason is I liked there design of a longer bar vs the Griggs, but I'll be doing a wattslink from griggs soon enough.. I'm also running MM LCA's adjustable in the rear which I'm going to be selling because I have Griggs rear coilovers now.. I just have them there now because I'm saving moolah

germeezy1

Established Member
I am going to stick with the sra. My plans are to do some road racing events and occasionally going to the drag strip. GERMEEZY1 what made you decide on the griggs setup over the the Maximum Motorsports setup for example?

This is why I asked what your purpose for the car was. MM makes a more street friendly setup that has heavier components designed more for street use, and occasional track use. The Griggs GR40 setup is for those who really want to push their Mustang to the limits, and is an ideal setup for those who want to road race their cars.

VenemousStang

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys. Since the car is still more of a street car I think the MM setup might be a better idea. I already have the front k-member, a-arms, coilover etc. So im just looking to get the rear up to par. I have always leaned towards the panhard/torque arm setup just came across the steeda 5 link and wanted to get opinions on it.

germeezy1

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys. Since the car is still more of a street car I think the MM setup might be a better idea. I already have the front k-member, a-arms, coilover etc. So im just looking to get the rear up to par. I have always leaned towards the panhard/torque arm setup just came across the steeda 5 link and wanted to get opinions on it.

If you are already running the MM setup than run their T/A and adjustable PHB , and be done with it.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
This is why I asked what your purpose for the car was. MM makes a more street friendly setup that has heavier components designed more for street use, and occasional track use. The Griggs GR40 setup is for those who really want to push their Mustang to the limits, and is an ideal setup for those who want to road race their cars.

This is simply not true. Maximum Motorsports have plenty of suspension components that they themselves claim do not belong on a street car. It's debatable that a fully prepped Griggs Mustang is better or faster on the track than a fully prepped MM Mustang. Let's see some tech on your claims...

Users who are viewing this thread