Steeda Clutch Adjuster Kit...

SOHC46

Super Poster!
Established Member
My friends 2001 Cobra is having trouble shifting. It does not want to go in any gear, at low or high rpms. After searching the site we decided to check tranny fluid and adjust the cable with the stock quadrant. It did not work. And the fluid level was perfect. After further searching, I suggested he get a new quadrant and fire wall adjuster to go with his aftermarket clutch. He then purchased the steeda kit off americanmuscle.com. By the way his current setup includes a steeda tri ax and an unknown clutch (very hard to depress!!!). Pedal only has resistance half way down.

1. Did I advise my friend correctly?
2. Are the steeda parts quality?
3. Does the steeda adustable cable really break so soon?
4. MOST IMPORTANT!!! Will the steeda double hook quadrant, and fire wall adjuster work with a stock clutch cable?

Thank for the help, sorry so long!!!

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
You sure the clutch was installed right? Or for that matter - transmission is ok?

I run the Steeda setup - It didn't work with a stock GT cable obviously cause I was given the wrong stock cable so I don't really know.

The steeda cable is pretty decent - the one I had on it when I bought the car broke because it was run too tight - WAY TOO tight. The new one I installed myself is still going strong since September.

I have a Spec 1 and the only problem overall I have is that the clutch burns up when I'm on a roll in first-reverse and vice versa (repeatedly, ex. 3 point turn, going quick). It's really pissing me off. But I don't think it has anything to do with the cable at all. Just starting to wear down.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
do you mean the pedal does not start having resistance until it gets pressed halfway to the floor. meaning that up top when it is at reast the pedal has a lot of play. if yes, then clutch cable adjustment is absolutely th reason for not being able to get into gear very easily, if at all. if there's too much play at the top of the pedal the clutch is not disengaging all the way, thus causing it not to allow it into or out of gears.

answers to questions:
1) yes, if anything it is a good start
2) for the most part yes they are
3) a lot of aftermarket adjustale cables break extremely easily. it will last for a little while at least though.
4) i don't really know about the steeda one. i use the bbk firewall adj and quadrant w/ the stock cable(i broke the supplied adjustable one!)

Last edited:

SOHC46

Super Poster!
Established Member
Thanks for the reply guys. Last night before my roomate left for work, I tried one more time to adjust the quadrant. I pushed the clutch to the floor with one hand. Took the other hand and pulled the quadrant away from the gear behind it. Then slowly released the clutch pedal. It worked!!! But I have been told that this is only a quick fix. But man, what a difference.:rockon: Every gear now shifts so smooth.

Still one question though...

1. Will the stock clutch cable work with the steeda fire wall adjuster/double hook quadrant?

Users who are viewing this thread