Steeda Off-road cat delete pipes?

EliteSweep

Established Member
I have a 13' boss and was originally looking at the MRT Performance H pipe but then came across this SIMPLE mod I could do to get rid of the cats and basically make the same Horsepower gains for 1/6 of the price... Just wanted you guys thoughts on this or if you have seen anyone use this? Seems like a very good idea, considering I can still keep the side exhaust we all love. Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Off-Road Cat Delete Pipes - 053-S-100

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
I'm thinking thats the best idea for keeping side exhaust and deleting cats. I think a lot of people use the Jegs version of the cat deletes. I don't see how there would be much difference in them though.

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
Now ya see them:
medium800.jpg

Now ya don't:
medium800.jpg

These are the Jeg's pipes. Same price and probably the same manufacturer. They fit nice, but you are gonna need a tune to get rid of the check engine light.

JEGS Performance Products 30580 JEGS 2011-Up Mustang GT Exhaust

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
I will also say it made the car considerably louder. I had the baffles out of the car (dealer took them out before I had even bought it), and I put them back in after the cat delete. Just too loud for me inside the car.

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
Actually Steeda sells secondary O2 sensor emulators. Screw those bad boys in the secondary O2 ports and they tell the computer all is hunky dory. no tune needed

86Fbody

Established Member
Actually Steeda sells secondary O2 sensor emulators. Screw those bad boys in the secondary O2 ports and they tell the computer all is hunky dory. no tune needed

Would kind of subvert the purpose of having a car that can read pre and post exhaust though.

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
All the rear O2 sensors do is make sure the cats are doing their job. The real purpose of the tune though, in my opinion anyway, is to take advantage of the freer flowing exhaust. Not as good as long tubes but better then having the cats in place.

86Fbody

Established Member
All the rear O2 sensors do is make sure the cats are doing their job. The real purpose of the tune though, in my opinion anyway, is to take advantage of the freer flowing exhaust. Not as good as long tubes but better then having the cats in place.

That's the only purpose of the rear O2's? I thought someone on another forum said they do serve to monitor the post exhaust. I will have to validate that to make sure I am not talking from my rear as per usual.

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
This thread is a Deja Vu moment. As stated, secondary 02's only monitor converter efficiency. Years ago, when I had built my '04 GT, the hp difference in my car with no cats, VS a set of SLP hi flow converters was 2 rwhp on the dyno, I left the SLP cats on and didn't deal with a yearly inspection nightmare.

RTD

Established Member

I don't think O2 sims work with Coyote/Roadrunners or most other cars made in the past 10 years. Different signal expected or something.

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
So why pull the cats and put the baffles back in? If its too loud, just keep the cats and pull the baffles?

Better exhaust flow without the cats. The side exhaust pipes don't do a whole lot for flow, just sound. I'm really thinking about a new X pipe and getting rid of the quad exhaust all together.

Cobra 2997

Established Member
I just received the Steeda cat delete pipes and their mail order tune. How difficult was the cat delete install ? Just want to get an idea of the time and effort involved....

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
The top bolts on the cats are kind of a pain. You can get to them from the top with some loooooonnnnnggggg socket extensions.

Cobra 2997

Established Member
Anybody know the size of the top bolts to the exhaust manifolds ? I thought they were 15mm ? Both of my 15mm sockets fit loosely on the nuts and 14mm won't fit at all. Doesn't seem to be 5/8" either....

Don't want to round them off....

Boss949

Established Member
Anybody know the size of the top bolts to the exhaust manifolds ? I thought they were 15mm ? Both of my 15mm sockets fit loosely on the nuts and 14mm won't fit at all. Doesn't seem to be 5/8" either....

Don't want to round them off....

I just had Jegs Cat Deletes installed. I asked my installer and he said it is 15mm and a "real pain" to get too...

I have the side baffles removed and now with the Jegs (stainless) the Boss sounds like a real beast.

Users who are viewing this thread