Steeda tri-ax issues

mikecobra01

Established Member
Went to the dragstrip last night, and after my second pass I noticed my shifter didnt want to stay in neutral it just wanted to rest in between 1st and 2nd. I pull off and find that it wont go into reverse, we head down the road and it didnt want to go into 5th either.

I get home and pull the plate on the shifter thats held in by four allan head bolts, remove the 2 springs and it shifts fine. I try putting it back together and it wont go into reverse again.

Anyone have this issue? Im thinking something is wrong with the springs but im not certain.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Can't help you with your Tri-Ax as I've never seen one apart, but this is guaranteed to fix your problem:

1990-2004 Mustang SHORT THROW SHIFTER

Off topic, how do you like the boom tubes? I have LT's, a prochamber and flowmaster 40's and I want it louder!

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Hope it is not a transmission issue?

Also, after reinstalling the TriAx, was the car on/off when you went tried reverse?

mikecobra01

Established Member
When I took the springs out it would shift into reverse fine, even with the car on and off.

Its just strange ive never had an issue with it until last night.

racermatt

Established Member
I showed this thread to a few of my engineering guys, and they have never seen this. Can you send it back to us and I will rebuild it for you free of charge? If not just let me know what I can do to help. Thanks.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I'm w/ black4vcobra, just get a MGW and you will be happier than you thought possible. I had a Tri-Ax in my 5.0 with a T-5 and now have MGW in my Cobra with a T-45 (basically the same trans, really) and the MGW is simply amazing. I was able to adjust the shifter right to where I like it, which I couldn't do with the Tri-Ax, by rotating the handle towards me and then tightening it down. Another benefit that I found was that there was a lot less noise and vibration transmitted through the handle, both w/ and w/o using a gasket material.

mikecobra01

Established Member
I actually found the issue and solved my problem.

Inside the shifter there are two preload springs, one is shorter than the other. Well, the shorter spring has a coin like shaped spacer thats about 3/8 of an inch in diameter.

Apparently that spacer came out of place, causing the shifter to be sideways, and thats why it wouldn't go into 5th or reverse.

Its fine now, but I am alittle hesitant to take it to the track now though.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I actually found the issue and solved my problem.

Inside the shifter there are two preload springs, one is shorter than the other. Well, the shorter spring has a coin like shaped spacer thats about 3/8 of an inch in diameter.

Apparently that spacer came out of place, causing the shifter to be sideways, and thats why it wouldn't go into 5th or reverse.

Its fine now, but I am alittle hesitant to take it to the track now though.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

You want to be certain that it's done right, send it back to Steeda and they'll rebuild it for you at no cost as they offered.

I used to have an MGW, and I HATED it. Along with costing me hundreds in damages (slammed into 1st gear at 70mph while racing a 6.0L GTO, and yes I was kicking his arse).

With the Tri-Ax, I KNOW that my gear is where it needs to be.

STEEDA :rockon:

mikecobra01

Established Member
I may take him up on that offer, I just cant be without my car for that long since its my dd.

racermatt: Thankyou for the offer, I will pm you if I figure something out about getting another shifter in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread