• UPR

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Other ... please state what kind

Votes: 28 21.1%

• Total voters

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
I'm about to order a shifter on Monday and I would like to know what you guys think. I've owned a steed tri-ax before in my last cobra and it worked great but I keep hearing people rave about their "Pro 5.0" as "the best shifter ever made". Who here has has both and which did you prefer? Please vote on which shifter you like better. If they were pretty even, would you go with the pro 5.0 because it is a little cheaper?

I personally like the way the tri-ax is angled slightly towards the driver for comfort but if the Pro 5.0 is better, then please post why. I also included the UPR shifter in the poll since I noticed some here have that shifter as well. If your shifter is not on the list please state what kind.

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member

cobra101

Established Member
I belive one of those has a like 3/4 inch shorter throw than the other. I forget whether the tri-ax or pro 5.0 has the shorter throw.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Craig99SVT
There is no other poll on that link you posted other than mine. You guys are so sensitive. How long has the search been up and running anyway?

I meant this thread.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...&sortorder=descending&perpage=25&pagenumber=7

The search button has been working for over a month.

so sensitive? There any many people (me included) that are sick of seeing the same 10 questions asked.

What CAI are you using?
What Shifer?
What catback?
and on and on and on and on and on and on ...

There are 500,000 posts on this forum. Maybe you should try searching through them instead of turning this site into the corral.

98GTvert

Established Member
Get the Pro 5.0, i have it in my car, and its great, installed it myself and no problems at all, it shifts perfectly and feels really good. I have a friend who has a 2001 GT with a steeda tri-axe and he hates it, he always sais he would have rather gotten a pro 5.0, sais the steeda is a POS. and complains all the time about it lol.

PDubs

Established Member
Do each of these have a positive stop? Mainly, could these cure my miss-3rd-itis?

gatzer

Established Member
PRO 5.0 w/ MGW adjustable shifter handle. I've never missed a shift and don't have to reach for 5th or reverse anymore.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Man, I'm with you Bassin!!!!! Same thing over and over again.....but, people keep posting to the dittos (like me and you....) Whoops, I just sent it right back to the top myself. Dang!

BenD

Established Member
The 5.0 Shifter Problems

I have the 5.0 shifter and for the first 6 months I really didn't have any problem. I think it works fine for drag racing although I did begin to have some problems after about 6 months missing third.

But where the real problem comes in to play is Road Racing, at least in my case. I do more Road Racing than Drag Racing. Down shifting into third is a real problem and I'm now thinking about a replacement, but not before I thoroughly investigate and determine the cause.

With that said, I'm presently in investigative mode. I can't blame the Shifter completely at this point in time. There may be other problems causing this and I'm determined to find out before I condemn the 5.0 Shifter.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I have tried them both. Pro 5.0 feels better overall, though the handle is a bit far forward. I think a Pro 5.0 with a Steeda handle would be the best combo out there.

Pro 5.0 shifts much smoother while the Steeda is a bit "notchy" feeling.

1 BLOWN V8

Established Member
Originally posted by gatzer
PRO 5.0 w/ MGW adjustable shifter handle. I've never missed a shift and don't have to reach for 5th or reverse anymore.
What he said:burnout: Very happy with mine aslo.

4.6 Love

Established Member
Pro 5.0 all the way man...I've had it in my 02 GT and I couldn't be happier...personally I think the steeda and the pro 5.0 are just about the same...but the pro 5.0 is about $20 cheaper!:D

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Go ahead, waste your money. I did. Bought a Tri-Ax (had a Pro 5.0 on my 98 Cobra). Personally, I thought the Tri-Ax was better than the Pro 5.0.

But then I installed the MGW shifter. Save yourselves the time and money and just get the MGW shifter. Best one on the market.

That is also a good time to change your fluid. I went with Mobile 1, but if it doesn't do any better (notchy when cold, but after it warms up, it shifts just fine) I may go to GM Synchromesh (I used it in my 98 and it was fine). Thought I would give the Mobile 1 some more time before making a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread