Steeda UDP TROUBLE!

Stanley Wright

Established Member
They used the wrong bolt! They used the LONG bolt and now the car won't start. Just want to know what kind of damage that has been done and can i just replace with the stock to save it?
99 Cobra Won't start!

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Established Member
Good morning Stanley,

In order to help you, we need to answer a few questions …

-First, who is “they”? A shop, your mechanic?

-Second, by saying the long bolt, I assume you mean the starter bolt, the one used to start threading the balancer onto your crankshaft?

As stated in the instructions in several spots in bold print ... “This kit includes a 12mm x 60mm bolt that is used to start the new balancer pulley onto the crankshaft. DO NOT TIGHTEN THIS BOLT. It is used only to pull the balancer on far enough for the factory bolt to reach, and then is removed. USE THE FACTORY BOLT TO HOLD THE BALANCER PULLEY IN PLACE. DAMAGE TO THE CRANKSHAFT MAY OCCUR IF THE ,INSTALLATION BOLT IS OVER-TIGHTENED.”

I would remove the install bolt and check to make sure the OEM bolt can be threaded back in. If it does, great, follow the torque instructions for your year car and you should be good to go. If the factory bolt won’t thread in, you will need to clean the threads in the end of your cranks with a 12mm – 1.50 thread tap.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

TJ

Stanley Wright

Established Member
Hey I had a shop rebuild and install them and i drove it a couple of thousand miles and now it won't start. I have taken it to a number of mechanics and they couldn't find the problem but would charge me $500-$1000 in diagnose and finally the last mechanic found that the shop that installed them left the starter bolt in and will not take responsibility for it. Ford said the harmonic balancer would move in and out (toward and away from the timing cover) which slowly the keyway. crank sensor was replaced during trouble shooting. Fuel/fuel filter is good as well done during diagnose too. Starts for a moment and shuts off

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the timing wheel got beat up it might cause the issue. Unfortunately you have to pull the timing cover or oil pan to get a good look at the timing wheel. I had a similar issue with my old set up. The slot for the key got wallowed out, but the car still ran. I didn't even know it happened until I pulled the engine apart.

Stanley Wright

Established Member
If the timing wheel got beat up it might cause the issue. Unfortunately you have to pull the timing cover or oil pan to get a good look at the timing wheel. I had a similar issue with my old set up. The slot for the key got wallowed out, but the car still ran. I didn't even know it happened until I pulled the engine apart.

Hey thanks Ford is pretty certain that it's the issue. How much did it cost you. Also what kind of work am i looking at? Do the motor have to be remove? Did you need a full rebuild? Is it worth repairing?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The timing wheel is about $30. It's not hard work, just time consuming. The timing cover has to come off. For that to happen the valve covers need to be loosened, the A/C compressor and power steering pump need to be unbolted, the damper removed, and a few bolts removed. The engine doesn't have to be pulled. I did my timing chain tensioners in the car. I started in the morning and had the car running in the evening.

Stanley Wright

Established Member
The timing wheel is about $30. It's not hard work, just time consuming. The timing cover has to come off. For that to happen the valve covers need to be loosened, the A/C compressor and power steering pump need to be unbolted, the damper removed, and a few bolts removed. The engine doesn't have to be pulled. I did my timing chain tensioners in the car. I started in the morning and had the car running in the evening.

Hey thanks! Great news! Will it jump timing?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The timing wheel doesn't affect the chains. I'm pretty sure it's just for the spark advance and retard.

Users who are viewing this thread