Steering feels different between 01 and 04 lightning

Hatler12

This is my first post on this awesome forum, and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I've bought an 04 lightning new put 100k miles on it and it runs great. I decided to buy another lightning, an 01, for my son. The 01 drives great but the steering is considerably different than the 04. The 2004s steering is tight and responsive, how I prefer it. But the 01 is very loose and almost too responsive. Driving 60+ is almost a headache, every little movement of the wheel steers the truck. I was wondering if anyone knew why this is? I didn't know of any suspension differences between these two years but I could be wrong.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This is my first post on this awesome forum, and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I've bought an 04 lightning new put 100k miles on it and it runs great. I decided to buy another lightning, an 01, for my son. The 01 drives great but the steering is considerably different than the 04. The 2004s steering is tight and responsive, how I prefer it. But the 01 is very loose and almost too responsive. Driving 60+ is almost a headache, every little movement of the wheel steers the truck. I was wondering if anyone knew why this is? I didn't know of any suspension differences between these two years but I could be wrong.

Ford updaated the steering box in 03. That change is responsible for the difference you feel.
Posted via Mobile Device

oilwell1415

Established Member
That and it doesn't take too much alignment work to drastically change the feel. Just the common 2" shackles in the rear adds about 1 degree of caster.

Hatler12

63k. Bought it used. The owner could have possibly done somethin to the truck, thoughts told us it was completely stock. We had it dynod and it was pushing 370hp at the wheels. But I have heard of vehicles coming off the line hot, I guess it could be that case.

Users who are viewing this thread