Steering Rack Leak

OmahaStang

Established Member
I have a normal maintenace question in regards to Fox body front steering rack.
I believe I'll have to replace mine for it's been leaking for a while and the pulley on the pump has some play on it now.

Since it was FINALLY above freezing here today I took a look at it and noticed the power steering fluid is actually coming from the 'vent' on the boot on the drivers side. Is this a 'death' sentence for the rack??

I've already done research in regards to going manual and since my fox body is my DD I've decided against it and also due to $$$ too.

Thanks for the assistance.

carguy19

Established Member
If its leaking the seals under the boots are gone or going.

Its already a bitch to change the rack on these cars, the more it leaks the dirtier and more of a pain in the ass it is. Id do it sooner then later.

Do it on a lift or have it done trust me. I made the mistake of doing one on my back with a friend and it was quite an ordeal.

OmahaStang

Established Member
Spoke to a couple shops and everyone wanted around 380-400 for labor and I think that was without an alignment too.

Needless to say I'll be doing this myself. Now I just have to research which parts to get along with tie rod ends too.

Prelimiary price of parts: Rack 100.00 Pump: 50 Rod ends: 60.00 (greaseable)

buddha93

Established Member
Ya, I have to admit, I didn't think it was that bad of a job. I don't know about a half hour, but it can be done in an hour. The biggest PITA is getting it off the steering shaft. I bought the AGR piece fromt Summit.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
you're sure the leak isn't from the teflon seals on the power steering fluid lines themselves? just a suggestion, but at least don't forget those when you replace the rack or you'll be chasing another leak lol

OmahaStang

Established Member
Update:

Friend was in town who has impacts and pulley puller and we took out the rack and the power steering pump for it needed to be replaced too. Actually wasn't to bad to do once it was said and done.

Putting it in was kind of a pain but not horrible.

Anyone have input on what I should ask/tell the place that does the steering alignment? I searched on here but can't locate anything.

Caster/camber/Angles/degrees etc.. Car is street driven with eibach lowering springs.

buddha93

Established Member
Do you have after market caster/camber plates? If it's stock, just tell them you put a new rack on it and they'll do the rest. I've never had a Fox Mustang that needed anything out of the norm, but they are notorious for wearing the insides up front if you don't keep them in check with an alignment every so often.

Users who are viewing this thread