Steering Wheel Shake

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
I've been experiencing steering wheel shake between 45-55 mph. I thought it was an out of balance wheel but I replaced all four tires, had them balanced, and the car aligned only to have the shake get worse. It gets better as the car warms up. My dad has had several fox based mustangs and is sure its a control arm bushing that's gotten worn. It has the original A arms with 90k miles so the bushings look a little worn. Any one experience this before?

I'm looking at installing the energy suspension offset bushings and steeda X2 ball-joints since I will have to drop the arms anyways. Any thing else I should do while I'm there?

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
If you notice it more on smooth roads I would check wheel bearings. I could not tell mine were bad by doing the usual checking, I could only tell they were bad because I could feel the grittiness in them with the rotor off.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
My convertible has a shake in the steering wheel as well when I get up to 60mph, it goes way once I'm going faster than that. Read on here that people solved it by replacing the steering rack bushings. Going to give that a try, hopefully it fixes the problem.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
I already have the solid MM steering rack mounts, so probably not that. They made a real difference at low speeds though. The car felt way more responsive when I swapped them.

Users who are viewing this thread