Steering Wheel upgrade

Paul1138

Established Member
Hey guys -

I was looking for suggestions on replacing the OEM Steering for my '13 GT500. Something meatier and smaller (if possible). It would have to be able to use the existing switches on the arms as well. I've done a brief search online and only came up with a company called "Grant", with less than favorable reviews.

Or perhaps getting the OEM wrapped correctly? No idea who/if that can be done as well.

Thanks fellas

mikejaeggi

Established Member
Hey guys -

I was looking for suggestions on replacing the OEM Steering for my '13 GT500. Something meatier and smaller (if possible). It would have to be able to use the existing switches on the arms as well. I've done a brief search online and only came up with a company called "Grant", with less than favorable reviews.

Or perhaps getting the OEM wrapped correctly? No idea who/if that can be done as well.

Thanks fellas

images

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Chain wheel cracked me, geesh.

That grant sure looks nice, a little pricey, but what isn't.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
word of caution the grant wheel is horrible. the quality of the leather is laughable. the 10 and 2 inserts are just glue on foam and feel like it. worst thing i've ever bought.

So I went another direction and spend a bunch-o-money on something done right YOUR DESIGN OUR WORKS shoot them an email Ivan is the man. here is what they did for me:

0cbf751e.jpg

361f7500.jpg

this is my stock boss wheel beefed up then wrapped in nappa leather with custom white stitching (to match my car) they even flattened out the bottom a little.

Keep in mind you really can't go much smaller because you need to keep the existing structure and factory airbag.

After 1 year and about 20k miles it still looks as good as the day I got it.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
So I went another direction and spend a bunch-o-money on something done right YOUR DESIGN OUR WORKS shoot them an email Ivan is the man. here is what they did for me:

0cbf751e.jpg

361f7500.jpg

this is my stock boss wheel beefed up then wrapped in nappa leather with custom white stitching (to match my car) they even flattened out the bottom a little.

Keep in mind you really can't go much smaller because you need to keep the existing structure and factory airbag.

That looks great! I'd like to get mine re-wrapped with 100% leather (instead of the OEM Alcantara). I had no idea where to start, so I really appreciate this info. Now, if only I could get the list of mods I want to stop growing...

Myfast70

Established Member
That looks great! I'd like to get mine re-wrapped with 100% leather (instead of the OEM Alcantara). I had no idea where to start, so I really appreciate this info. Now, if only I could get the list of mods I want to stop growing...

x2!

You can get your mods list to start shrinking by completing some of them :beer:

Paul1138

Established Member
word of caution the grant wheel is horrible. the quality of the leather is laughable. the 10 and 2 inserts are just glue on foam and feel like it. worst thing i've ever bought.

0cbf751e.jpg

361f7500.jpg

Thanks, Jeff. I emailed Ivan. Here's what he said:
this steering wheel is very difficult to thicken up
due to the T-trim design
The boss 302 customer is not super happy, but we can not help too much
he understood

So, I wonder if he was referring to you? You do seem happy. They were able to thicken up the wheel, leather all around and flatten the bottom, right?

Last edited:

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
strange. I am extremely happy, sent a follow up email with after install pictures thanking him over and over for taking a huge sum of money from me. It's massive compared to the stock wheel, and yes it is flattened out on the bottom (not audi RS flat but flatter than stock). Best mod i've ever done to any car.

Last edited:

idhitit

Established Member
strange. I am extremely happy, sent a follow up email with after install pictures thanking him over and over for taking a huge sum of money from me. It's massive compared to the stock wheel, and yes it is flattened out on the bottom (not audi RS flat but flatter than stock). Best mod i've ever done to any car.

How much was it? :read:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
That looks great! I'd like to get mine re-wrapped with 100% leather (instead of the OEM Alcantara).

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I finally completed (my version of) this mod. I ended up going a somewhat less expensive route, locating part number DR3Z-3600-AA, as a 2014 GT takeoff, on eBay. (Cost was considerably less than buying "new".) The swap is was SIMPLE, following the process laid out here.

Finished product...
IMG_20141207_133501_437_zpsdca4f723.gif

Users who are viewing this thread