Steig IV 2.93 + 4 lb lower power feeling?

vin1382

Established Member
right now i am sitting on a 2.93 pully plus a canned tuned cobra. i want to port the blower and everything as well as add either a 4 lb or 6 lb lower and get it tuned by a shop + supporting mods. I am just curious as to how its going to feel compared to just my pulley'd, cai, exhaust setup now? is the difference as dramatic as going from stock pulley to aftermarket? I want to do a whipple eventually, but i dont want to swing the extra 4000 grand as of this point in my life(moving in with fiance soon so have to get this done before we move in and need to spend money elsewhere :) ). if the difference in power feeling isn't that dramatic, ill just wait the year or 2 in order to get the whipple.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
It will be dramatic. Especially when you get rid of that crappy canned tune. I'd still skip it & go with the Whipple though.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
A lower pulley in general will make a huge diffrence...i know it made a huge diffrence when i got mine. If you're planning to go Whipple eventually skip the port and don't waste the money like i did. Ported eatons are great only if you're going to stick with it and not wanting more power. Of course, i ended up going for more.

Digital

Established Member
I went from a 2.76 upper to to 2.93 x 4# lower and noticed zero power gain. (The dyno confirmed this as well)

Honestly the only reason to change from a 2.76 upper (the best upper only setup for boost/overheating/etc) to a 2.93/4# is if you're getting belt slip on the 2.76.

Now going from a 2.93 which isnt too far from stock and slapping a 4# on it is going to be drastic.

Also if money is no concern I would say for sure go out and grab a whipple or kb but if you dont have 5k laying around I would stg 4 port your blower and toss a wet kit on it. You'll make the same power.
But to each his own.

webleedorange61

GO HORNS!!
Established Member
Man do some research first...The kennebell is a way better blower, in soooooo many ways.

Please explain to me the advantages of a kenne bell vs. Whipple. Kenne bell is a little to ugly for me,but does sound awesome.

FYI: more expensive doesnt make it a better blower.

Last edited:

Silverboost

Established Member
I would buy the twinscrew before you move in with her. Once you move in you are done for on spending money for mods. I would buy it now.

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
It will be dramatic. Especially when you get rid of that crappy canned tune. I'd still skip it & go with the Whipple though.

+1

Port is great, but will only sooth ur needs for about a week or so...then you'll wanna go twinscrew:bash:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Has anyone done the 4lb lower and 2.76 upper on a stage 4 port? Will it work or will the eaton get to hot.

Plenty have gone with that combo and loved it. Others will argue all day that the Heaton is being spun too hard. I ran a 2.93 upper then added a 4lb lower and Stage IV port and barely noticed a difference. Ended up going Whipple and now wish I had from day one.

vin1382

Established Member
Plenty have gone with that combo and loved it. Others will argue all day that the Heaton is being spun too hard. I ran a 2.93 upper then added a 4lb lower and Stage IV port and barely noticed a difference. Ended up going Whipple and now wish I had from day one.

so your saying the 50+ hp and 50+ tq really didnt feel signficant upgrading from just a 2.93? i'd like to go whipple, but i just dont know what hte future will bring quite honestly and how future investments will be/kids/etc so if i waited for the whipple, i might not ever do it. which is why id like to get something done for as cheap as possible(no nitrous), but as effective as possible.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
so your saying the 50+ hp and 50+ tq really didnt feel signficant upgrading from just a 2.93? i'd like to go whipple, but i just dont know what hte future will bring quite honestly and how future investments will be/kids/etc so if i waited for the whipple, i might not ever do it. which is why id like to get something done for as cheap as possible(no nitrous), but as effective as possible.

To be honest, it really did not feel like I picked up 50rwhp/50rwtq. I may have, but the car felt pretty much the same with the exception of better pull up top from the port. Could just be me though.......

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
To be honest, it really did not feel like I picked up 50rwhp/50rwtq. I may have, but the car felt pretty much the same with the exception of better pull up top from the port. Could just be me though.......

Yeah, going from a non ported 2.8 to stage 4 with 2.93/4# and felt little difference. But I have a way safer tune with the same power though! 23 timing to 18 and way better driveability.

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
Yeah, going from a non ported 2.8 to stage 4 with 2.93/4# and felt little difference. But I have a way safer tune with the same power though! 23 timing to 18 and way better driveability.

I will agree with the other posts stated above. I will say that I have 2 freinds with cobras with 2.8 pulley tune and normal bolt ons and when they drive my car they think it is much faster. I dont belive that to be true. It will pull very hard compared to their cars but not crazy fast like you would be lead to believe. I will add nitrous for the time being. Then I will get a twin screw down the road. If I had the money, twin screw would have been first. Big difference between twin screw 600hp and a heated up 550 from an eaton. Heat soak is my biggest complaint. When its hot down here you can feel the strain.

Users who are viewing this thread