Stereo install pics/tips request...

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Hey guys, I'm planning on a good SQL install this winter and I am having a hard time deciding exaclty how I want to install the sub-stage. I am debating between 2 12's sealed (12w6v2's or fi q's), or 2 10's ported. I don't know if I want to seal off the trunk and fire the subs into the cabin area, or fire the subs into the trunk. The way the trunk is set up, if you fire the subs backwards it is almost sealing the trunk from the cabin, so I have a feeling it wont be that loud inside.

I was hoping other's have gone through the trouble of tying the diff setups, so I don't... haha

Anyone have any experience in it yet???

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
If you are going SQ then you want to do a sealed enclosure usually. As to how stuff sounds, I did the JL Audio Stealthbox in a customer vehicle a while back and it rocked pretty good.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I used to claim only sealed for SQ too, until I actually built a proper ported box...

All I had ever heard were pre-fab ported boxes at about 45hz... poop

I built a 2.5ft3 box tuned in the high 20's and the FLAT response was amazing... Sealed are MUCH easier to make sound good, but proper ported can sound amazing, and be much louder...

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Actually a lot of sq competitors have ported enclosures tuned very low. I'm assuming when you say sq you just want it to sound good. I probably designed box with a single sub will do the job. I recommend looking into the sundown SA series subs. They are by far imo the best subs on the market for price/performance. My setup will have a spare tire well enclosure but if you just want to put a box in the back and don't care about space then you can do a multitude of things. Sealing the box off from the trunk and firing forward can sometimes hurt low end output but it varies from vehicle to vehicle. Also with the way our trunks are made you have limited room with the hump at the opening. A rear firing port with subs up sounds really good in most trunk cars. You can cut down the height and width to allow air flow around the box. If you need a design made or any other help feel free to pm me.

For a teaser here is the design I plan to use:

2.3 cubes net @ 30hz
granston225-2.jpg

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
That's a great looking box! I've been doing a TON of google sketchup boxes latetly...

I wanted to leave room at the back of my trunk for a couple sets of golf clubs, so I decided on pretty much walling the trunk of the car off.

I do like the Sa-12's, but I already have one 12w6v2 so I would just need to buy one more, and I don't care what the JL haters say, they sound great (overpriced... yes).

I was also thinking either a 12w7 or an IDmax 12 ported at about 2.25ft3 tuned 30'ish.

I've had a single 12w7 and it sounded great, but the 12w6v2 I have now seems to sound a touch better....

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
That's a great looking box! I've been doing a TON of google sketchup boxes latetly...

I wanted to leave room at the back of my trunk for a couple sets of golf clubs, so I decided on pretty much walling the trunk of the car off.

I do like the Sa-12's, but I already have one 12w6v2 so I would just need to buy one more, and I don't care what the JL haters say, they sound great (overpriced... yes).

I was also thinking either a 12w7 or an IDmax 12 ported at about 2.25ft3 tuned 30'ish.

I've had a single 12w7 and it sounded great, but the 12w6v2 I have now seems to sound a touch better....

After designing a box I always use sketchup to create the layout. Its easy to use and gets the job done lol. Since you already have one 12w6 I'd say just use that sub by itself. If your wanting to seal the box off from the trunk you may run into height restrictions. I can't remember but I don't think you can fit 13" heigh through the opening. I have other ways around that we could discuss or if you wanted I could design you a spare tire well enclosure or build you one and ship it.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I built a box that is 36w x 13h x 14d and if I remove the trunk latch loop I can get it in and out (spent all day yesterday to find that out). It slides 3/4 the way up the hump in the back, so it fires into the cabin nicely. Im just afraid a single 12w6v2 wont be loud enough for me. I have it temporarily in a 1.75ft3 box tuned to 35hz. It's pretty loud, but I want headroom!

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
It just sucks how much airspace a slot port takes up, and it's very hard to get aeroports long enough to tune low 30's high 20's with those dimensions!

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I built a box that is 36w x 13h x 14d and if I remove the trunk latch loop I can get it in and out (spent all day yesterday to find that out). It slides 3/4 the way up the hump in the back, so it fires into the cabin nicely. Im just afraid a single 12w6v2 wont be loud enough for me. I have it temporarily in a 1.75ft3 box tuned to 35hz. It's pretty loud, but I want headroom!

I wasn't meaning the hatch opening I'm talking about the opening into the cabin. Ideally you would want the trunk floor flat so you could slide the box all he way to the opening. However if thats not possible you can slide it as far forward as possible then seal it off there. You can make a loading chamber by making a wood floor and walls in front of the box instead of just having carpet.

How loud are you wanting? I'm pretty sure I can get that sub pretty loud to the average person in our cars it just takes the right design, power, and install. What amp are you using? I would definitely say increase box size and most likely port size. When I get home later today I'll create a design for you and post it up.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
"I wasn't meaning the hatch opening I'm talking about the opening into the cabin."

Ya, I know exactly what you're talking about. With a box that's 13"H I can slide it up the mound enough to where I can take 14" of depth without using up too much trunk space.

I've had MANY different sub setups, and I've only truly been happy with the volume of my 12w7(barely), and my dual Rockford HX2 15's (sealed). I've always been a sealed box guy, until I heard some low tuned ported boxes.

I have 3 different amps to choose from. I have a Hifonics bxi1610d, a polk audio PA1200.1, and a Rockford BD500(not enough for what I want).

I would like to use the Polk Audio as it sounds very close to as loud as the Hifonics, but sounds much better!

Thats where I had my issue with getting a W7... the 3 ohm load sucks

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
STRPPER- I appreciate the help with designing a box... the dimensions I gave (36"W x 13"H x 14"D) are the MAX I can get into the trunk once the box is built. I appreciate the ideas!!!

I've designed a couple slot ported boxes for a 12w7, but with only 14"D it doesn't leave much room for mounting depth for a 9.5" deep sub! That's why I was considering an IDmax.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
No problem man. I was looking at things today and came up with two different options. One would be 12h x 39w x 12td x 17bd and would sit on top of the hump allowing you to slide it all the way forward. You would need to put feet under the back of the back where it drops down then you can put a beauty panel on it making it look like a wall.

Option 2: 13h x 44w x 12d. This box would shove all the way up until the trunk slopes up and will fit snug between the walls in that area.

Both boxes should fit into the trunk fine and are 2.3 cuft net @ 33hz. The polk amp should work great for that sub. Let me know if you'd like to use either design and I'll draw it up for you.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I know th dimensions you posted would fit the trunk well, but I don't think you could get either of those boxes into the trunk...

That's why I tested/built boxes to see what the biggest I could get in was, and I came up with 36x13Hx14D

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I know th dimensions you posted would fit the trunk well, but I don't think you could get either of those boxes into the trunk...

That's why I tested/built boxes to see what the biggest I could get in was, and I came up with 36x13Hx14D

The second box will drop right in from the top of the trunk. May have to take the back panels off to get an extra inch then replace them. The first box should be able to fit by stick it in side ways and moving it around once in.

Users who are viewing this thread