Stereo Q's - GT Base w/ 4 speaker

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Hey guys,

My stereo system sucks hard. Its a base GT with the lowest of the low sound system.

I am looking at upgrading and just wondering what everyone is running. The main Q's being:

1. Whats the best dash kit?

2. How many speakers can you run in the base GT?

3. For subs anyone running the JL Audio Stealth box + JL amp?

Just looking to get something that sounds as good as the car looks.

soSincerious

Established Member
I just added a powered 10" sealed sub and it adds a lot, very happy with it.

Rockford Fosgate P300-10

It won't impress people next to you at a red light, but it adds a lot of bass for what it is. I simply ran a power wire, found a good place to ground in the trunk, and tapped my rear speakers for a signal. It also came with a remote level adjustment that I mounted near my left knee

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
I just added a powered 10" sealed sub and it adds a lot, very happy with it.

Rockford Fosgate P300-10

It won't impress people next to you at a red light, but it adds a lot of bass for what it is. I simply ran a power wire, found a good place to ground in the trunk, and tapped my rear speakers for a signal. It also came with a remote level adjustment that I mounted near my left knee

Great to know. I am not looking for an "outside" stereo system heh something that will sound badass inside. Definitely gonna replace the headunit and speakers, then add a sub.

nate714

Established Member
Scosche and Metra both make a good dash kit for the mustang. I was told by numerous people that Scosche dash kit is the best. I went with the Metra kit just because the cut out for the stereo head unit sits slightly higher - which in retrospect is irrelevant because I use the steering wheel controls all the time anyway.

As far as speakers and stereo, it's all personal preference. I went with a high power 5 channel amp, component speakers, and a 12 inch sub, which I may change to dual ten's, just because I prefer the sound of a 10 inch sub. I wouldn't recommend the 13 inch stealth box unless you want the car next to you to hear your car rattle. 13 inches is pretty big and that sub is rated for a lot of power. I haven't heard it personally but I did consider the stealth box and after comparing options I'm glad I didn't get it.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Scosche and Metra both make a good dash kit for the mustang. I was told by numerous people that Scosche dash kit is the best. I went with the Metra kit just because the cut out for the stereo head unit sits slightly higher - which in retrospect is irrelevant because I use the steering wheel controls all the time anyway.

As far as speakers and stereo, it's all personal preference. I went with a high power 5 channel amp, component speakers, and a 12 inch sub, which I may change to dual ten's, just because I prefer the sound of a 10 inch sub. I wouldn't recommend the 13 inch stealth box unless you want the car next to you to hear your car rattle. 13 inches is pretty big and that sub is rated for a lot of power. I haven't heard it personally but I did consider the stealth box and after comparing options I'm glad I didn't get it.

Ah good to know...I actually totally forgot I have a single JL 10w3v3 in the garage in a small box. Gonna roll with that, replace all the speakers in the car and get the Scosche Dash. Will run a 5 channel amp as well, just need to decide on the brand and the brand of double DIN dec.

Users who are viewing this thread