Stfiness Of Clutch

ModularFan

Established Member
Hello Guys I am thinking about buying a Terminator in a Couple of months and i was wondering how stiff the stock clutch is. the only reason why I asked is ive driven a few manual cars in my life many of Saabs and one 06 Mustang GT. is the clutch real grabby on them and do they pop up real easily. i noticed on brand new clutches they tend to be a bit grabby and make the car peel out a little bit. Ive had surgery on my hip when i was little and i dont want a heavy clutch to **** up my hip or give me problems in the long run. not that i would care at the moment but i would hate to drive the cobra in pain all the time. i havent had any problems with my hip since then. it hurts once in a blue moon but not all the time i dont want it to come back and haunt me once i get this car. because it's something i wanted for a while.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
If you have a bum hip you will be very unhappy with a stock clutch. It is quite stiff. My Centerforce DF is much lighter on the leg for sure.

ModularFan

Established Member
If you have a bum hip you will be very unhappy with a stock clutch. It is quite stiff. My Centerforce DF is much lighter on the leg for sure.

so you think i should swap out the clutch and get a centerforce clutch? i dont want a clutch thats like putting your foot through a brick wall.

CADsnake

Established Member
so you think i should swap out the clutch and get a centerforce clutch? i dont want a clutch thats like putting your foot through a brick wall.

Age of the clutch plus correct adjustment makes a lot of difference also. I have a DF Centerforce in mine, triple hook alum. quadrant, steeda firewall adjuster, brand new adjustable cable, and my clutch pedal is extremlely hard to press in. So now I have to figure out if the clutch is worn (no slipping) or if the adjustment is off, or something else. And if stock is harder to press than mine...then I'd have to start lifting some 150lb weights with my legs to get used to it.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member

I can only speak for the Centerforce cause that's what I have. It's still no picnic because it's a mechanical clutch but it is noticeably easier then the stock piece. A lot of people here also swear by the Spec clutch or Ram as well. After I had my hernia surgery I couldn't drive my Cobra for a couple of weeks, where as, I could have easily driven my old DSM with it's hydraulic clutch.

ModularFan

Established Member
ill take you guys up on that! i just dont want a clutch thats like putting your foot through a concrete wall you know what i mean. and Iam sure it would be a bitch when it came to sitting in traffic because your afraid the clutch will come fling up and you hit the car in front of you!

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
what ill do is when i get the car and take it for a ride if i feel comfortable with the clutch ill leave it alone but if i feel its gonna bother me in the long run ill replace it. and from my understanding the cobra clutches are mechanical and not hydrolic correct?

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Stock clutch pedal effort was about 50% MORE than my 02 GT's. I now have a Centerforce II and it's like butter. Very easy.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I have a spec 2+ and through the hrs of stop and go traffic during the last hurricane evacuation my leg didnt hurt a bit.

ModularFan

Established Member
yea like i said before Iam gonna see how much force i need to put on the clutch then ill go from there if i want to upgrade.. how bout if i put a Mach 1 clutch in is there a difference between the GT Clutch and Mach 1 Clutch or even the Cobra clutch?

ModularFan

Established Member
Update i got to drive an 03 cobra convertiable today man that clutch is stiff so is the shifter is there something to get for the shifter its like trying to move a wooden stick through thick cement.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
Update i got to drive an 03 cobra convertiable today man that clutch is stiff so is the shifter is there something to get for the shifter its like trying to move a wooden stick through thick cement.

get a aftermarket short throw shifter. i'd say go with mgw, steeda or pro 5.0

yea like i said before Iam gonna see how much force i need to put on the clutch then ill go from there if i want to upgrade.. how bout if i put a Mach 1 clutch in is there a difference between the GT Clutch and Mach 1 Clutch or even the Cobra clutch?

mach 1's came with the cobra clutch in them.

ill take you guys up on that! i just dont want a clutch thats like putting your foot through a concrete wall you know what i mean. and Iam sure it would be a bitch when it came to sitting in traffic because your afraid the clutch will come fling up and you hit the car in front of you!

i sit in alot of traffic in mine. when i know i'm gonna be sitting i just take it out of gear and rest my leg that way i don't have to worry about it slipping and hopping on me.

just my .02 gl with getting a cobra!!!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
there's no such thing as a stiff, cable-actuated, diaphragm pressure plate.

if you are going to be on the clutch pedal for more than 2 seconds, take it out of gear. no wonder you guys have such throwout bearing trouble. the pedal on the left is not a foot rest! :D

ModularFan

Established Member
there's no such thing as a stiff, cable-actuated, diaphragm pressure plate.

if you are going to be on the clutch pedal for more than 2 seconds, take it out of gear. no wonder you guys have such throwout bearing trouble. the pedal on the left is not a foot rest! :D

lol. i wouldnt know about that because yesterday was my first time driving a Cobra. and i found the shifter to be stiff also the clutch. i literally just let the car idle through out the parking lot at work didnt want to hit any of the new cars. as soon as i felt the car roll i got off the clutch and gave it very little gas. i just think the shifter is a little to stiff for stock.

Users who are viewing this thread