STILL!! hard to shift...WTF!!!

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
Ok, so I got the MGW shifter,Fiore firewall adjuster and quadrant, Centerforce DFX clutch, Fidanza flywheel, 26 spline input shaft upgrade all after my old clutch went to shaaat!

I went through the break in period and then today I try doing a mini burnout. So cool I drive away and then it so happens that I have to come to a stop and put it in first. I have a hard time and was like WTF!!!!!!

I know in the morning it'll cool down and everything will be better and I also have not done any adjusting with the microclick as I have not had the need to so far but what the hell is going on now??? Any suggestions, what's next to go the synchros, shiftfork? This sucks. A bicycle sounds good right about now.

Last edited:

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Mine is acting the same way, I have pretty much the same set-up as you and the trans is still hard to shift while going WOT.

It just does not want to go into gear sometimes :shrug:

Now I'm starting to think the syncros are ****ed up...
Im gonna change the fluid and add some friction modifier to see if that helps. I dont understand how a car with 8k miles on it and zero track passes or hard abuse can have this problem especially after installing all those driveline mods. :cuss:

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
I think its the T56 tranny in general because mine is a biotch sometimes to get in gear at WOT. For example, I drove my buddy's 02 GT and got into it and powershifted it and it went straight into 3rd gear and I have never driven that car. My car, I can't even powershift it into 3rd really because I am in the same boat as you guys. My last cobra was like that too...by the way I have 15000 miles on my 04 cobra and never abuse it either. :shrug:

Ironhand

Banned
I've "Powershifted" mine just fine, I use just alittle bit of clutch, from 1st to 2nd then 3rd to 4th. I perfer the straight back pull instead of trying to jump accross those gears like that.

JohnnyBlaze

Established Member
I did the MGW last night, the 1-2 shift still takes a little effort and extra clutch, but my 3-4 shift feels awesome. It's also quite a bit more comfortable trying to go from 2-3 quickly.

Tobias

Established Member
Kasee 03, Are you absolutely sure that you set the bearing preload correctly when the input shaft was installed? The wrong preload can cause hard shifting in all gears as can improper clutch adjustment. Double check you clutch adjustments first and then go from there. If you guys are running Ford fluid, just drain about 8 ounces and then add two bottles of friction modifier. My experience has been that our transmissions are very sensitive to proper clutch adjustment.
If you bought your cars used, there is a possibility that the previous owners abused the transmissions and the problems are now beginning to show up.

1bad03snake

powered by cold beer
Established Member
knowfreed0m said:
Mine is acting the same way, I have pretty much the same set-up as you and the trans is still hard to shift while going WOT.

It just does not want to go into gear sometimes :shrug:

Now I'm starting to think the syncros are ****ed up...
Im gonna change the fluid and add some friction modifier to see if that helps. I dont understand how a car with 8k miles on it and zero track passes or hard abuse can have this problem especially after installing all those driveline mods. :cuss:
I have the same trouble with mine, I'm about to buy the fiore stuff, but I hope the shop that did my input shaft didnt mess anything up

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
Tobias said:
Kasee 03, Are you absolutely sure that you set the bearing preload correctly when the input shaft was installed? The wrong preload can cause hard shifting in all gears as can improper clutch adjustment. Double check you clutch adjustments first and then go from there. If you guys are running Ford fluid, just drain about 8 ounces and then add two bottles of friction modifier. My experience has been that our transmissions are very sensitive to proper clutch adjustment.
If you bought your cars used, there is a possibility that the previous owners abused the transmissions and the problems are now beginning to show up.

Everything was PERFECT before I attempted the mini test burnout. No hard shifting at all before this even after driving for hours with hot temps. Reverse was a breeze.:D

This morning, same problem(would grind so I didn't attempt it). Could not put it in reverse and had to turn the micro click 8 times to get it out of the garage and I was on the road. This is a temporary fix with the microclick and I like how my pedal was close to the floor before. Having it adjusted like this can probably cause premature clutch failure and I just can't afford that right now. What can this be? Cable stretching? I am going to do more investigating tonight. :shrug:

It seems as if when doing a burnout of any kind, which is not healthy at all, something goes on with the adjustment of the clutch and makes it harder to shift afterwards. I regret trying to do a burnout but this shouldn't happen to a car of this caliber.

1bad03snake