stock '02 SS wants to race an '03 Cobra

MarkWanc

Established Member
I have this friend by the name of Rick who has an all stock '02 SS with SLP exhaust. He lives in Marathon, NY and wants a peice of an '03 Cobra. Rick is not up on current events and claims he can go door to door (if not beat) an '03. I just laugh in his face.

He'll have his car out in the spring time. Is there anyone that can help me out by running your '03 against him.

I'll send him a link on this thread so he can see if any of you want to run him.

Thanks,

Mark

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I am up for that one....I live in Toms River NJ...abit far from him...

So bring the Movie Camera's.....I will take it easy on him....maybe only beat him by 20 car lenghts instead of 30....

My car appears stock from the outside and for someone that doesnt know...even the engine area appears stock too.

Just tell him I only put an exhaust on...thats what I tell everyone...it just blows their mind.

Hot Rod(I hope his stock SS Camaro can go 10's)Harry
And if so....I will go 9's then with the push of a button :D

And if he is reading this...I am just kidding..my car is really stock and only turns low 13's :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Yeah that'd be fun. Of course u know i'm going to video tape the race if it's on. I have a friend from Rockland County, NY that'd be interested too if you'd like. Great guy and racer. I'm sure your friend has more than just that just SLP exhaust on his SS..but it's cool ;-) Run what u brung.

Edit: HARRY! C'mon man :( I dont want sloppy 2nds!!

Last edited:

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
I would be happy to run him but I live in Dayton, OH! I'm sure there are several local guys that would be glad to show him 03 Cobra tail lights!

I haven't been to the track but raced a Viper GTS about a week ago and hung, so I would be more than happy to race!

I am bone stock also!

Just curious but has he been to the track yet?

MarkWanc

Established Member
Guys, his car is really stock. He is a purist and doesnt do any of the mods. His car has about 4000 miles on it and he has never had it to the track (he is not that kind of guy). He is a great guy, just keeps plopping magazines on my desk about chevy this and chevy that each morning when I get into work...he did it just a few mins ago!

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Maybe someone with a stock Cobra in the area wants to race him?

Question: What's more rare than seeing an 03 Cobra?
Answer: A stock one ;-)

....and Harry? I found out when he wants to race..I saw the 80 day forcast, it'll be windy and dusty. I don't think you'd want to expose your car to those conditions..i'll race him instead aight? :beer:

Last edited:

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by MarkWanc
Guys, his car is really stock. He is a purist and doesnt do any of the mods. His car has about 4000 miles on it and he has never had it to the track (he is not that kind of guy). He is a great guy, just keeps plopping magazines on my desk about chevy this and chevy that each morning when I get into work...he did it just a few mins ago!
Ask him why they aren't making it anymore if it's so great

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
A stock 03 will pack his arse!!! ... I don't normally race, but a kid in a late model 01/02 black SS kept harrassing me on the way back from San Marcos... He had borla catback, sounded pretty tough... Anyways... I let Jr have the move, were going about 70/75.... I ran him down like OJ did Nicole & Ron... Seriously, wasn't even close... I had 3-4 car lengths at the top of 3rd... I lifted once I hit 4th... I slowed down to give him thumbs up for the run, the guy wouldn't even look over... he stayed away from 03 the rest of the way back into austin...

This was awhile back..at the time my only mod was the bassani catback, not stock, but damn near it....

Last edited:

01blkcovert

Established Member
I have this friend by the name of Rick who has an all stock '02 SS with SLP exhaust. He lives in Marathon, NY and wants a peice of an '03 Cobra. Rick is not up on current events and claims he can go door to door (if not beat) an '03. I just laugh in his face.

He'll have his car out in the spring time. Is there anyone that can help me out by running your '03 against him.

I'll send him a link on this thread so he can see if any of you want to run him.

Thanks,

Mark

My friend has the same car (SS Coupe) with drag slicks, headers all the SLP goodies. He also had an attitude until I gave in and ran him and ran him and ran him. First time from a stop about 1/4 mile. He sounded good but got him by at least 4 car lengths. Next two times from a roll about 10 mph and 20 mph with the same results. He is now obsessed and wants to do a cam etc.
My Cobras only mod is k &n filter and silencer removed.

MarkWanc

Established Member
Guys, Rick has a link to this thread and is reading it, so post away.
I'll have him post his replys. Remember the thread on the two '03's laying down smack at the Rock? Well I let him read it and he go mad at me and gave me this reply:

Intellegent folks these Ford retards... "an orange 68 to 70 camaro." Hmmmmmm... 2 totally different platforms and this idiot can't tell them apart... Mark - U read tooooo many Junior bulletin boards my friend. Why don't U just buy a Cobra and we'll see 1st hand what it'll do! U against me - Box stock. Yer 13.3 vs. my 13.5 (Road and track times - minus SLP pieces too of course...) Also a 40 degree day and these idgets are waiting an hour for their car too cool - smart... I also made note of the WS-6 running 12.9's and Mr SS spinning 1/2 down the track and running 13 something... 13 something??? Very attentive crowd here - considering it was apparent this was the competition!? Soooo - is that 13.01 or 13.99??? Ahhhhh - all the same any way - what's a second??? Losers... They write as well as they dream. Wake up and read a REAL road test - not some 16 yr old kid talking about a car he's never even sat in...

me

NOTE: All LS-1 cars got a new camshaft, intake, and clutch in 01. So comparing 98-00 LS-1 cars to 01-02 is like comparing the 99 cobra to a 03 MACH-1.

Well, you can see with his reply and how he is on me every day about one thing or another, that I figured I would just turn it over to you guys. I can't reason with him. The kicker is that when the Camaros were faster in the 90's, I agreed with him....now, the tables are turned and he just wont accept it.

Thanks,
Mark

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Ford--> :thumbsup:
Chevy--> :thumbsup:
Ford--> :burnout:
Chevy--> :eek:
Ford--> :lol:
Chevy--> :cryying:

:beer: for all

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member

Thanks,

Mark

The reason he feels that way is from all the posts on LS1.com saying the 03 Cobra's are weak and can be beat pretty easily. I troll around there from time to time (as they do here as well) and it is full of threads like this:

Click

I ran against a 02 SS a few weeks back who had an exhaust and a lid. Had him 1/2 car going into 2nd gear, then 2-3 cars going into 3rd. He turned off before the next stoplight... :-D With equal drivers it is NO contest, with crappy drivers anything is possible.

Last edited:

realsmith

Wally World or Bust
Established Member
Denial is not a river in Egypt. Unfortunately wishing the SS was faster doesn't make it faster.

StangD281

Established Member
NOTE: All LS-1 cars got a new camshaft, intake, and clutch in 01. So comparing 98-00 LS-1 cars to 01-02 is like comparing the 99 cobra to a 03 MACH-1.
That's interesting...I beat the 01-02 cars just as bad as I beat the 98-00 cars.

If there is a difference, it's not much at all!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The 98-00 cars had a more aggressive cam, but more restrictive intake. The cam in the 01-02 has less lift similiar to the truck cam, intake is opened up. I recall the 01/02 intake being similiar to the z06 intake.

Silver 03 Cobra

Personally I smell a troll. If you want to verify or give some credibility to your story, then post a link to your buddies topic. personally I call BS on this topic. If it isn't then here is my reply to your buddy:

I was going to make a kind reply until you posted a remark that your buddy made that were direct quotes from the post I made about my run at Rockingham. Those are typical remarks from some snot nosed smart mouthed punk that doesn't have clue about racing. I'm not 16 ace. I had a full time job going to college while you were nothing more than a wet dream in your daddy's drawers. You question my intelligence and then write a post that is so full of grammatical and spelling errors it's hard for me to even read it. It belies your intelligence level, education or age. Which one is it ace.

So what if I can't tell a 68 to a 70 Camaro. Big deal, I'm not a Camaro fan. Personally it was so riced out it was hard to tell WTF it was. I'd say being a degreed senior engineer for a Fortune 100 company rates me as being intelligent although I don't boast about it. What's your education level ace?

As far as being attentive, it was hard to look at the times Mr. SS ran because I was laughing so hard. He probably had a broom handle stuck up his ass instead of a corn cob like I thought and couldn't get off the throttle. I'll give him credit for the 12.2's he started running. Those are times that you can only dream of. With your few bolt-on mods you either don't have the funds, knowledge or skill to mod your car. The 11.545 I ran are times Mr. SS can only dream of and are unobtainable for you. And what about the 11.31 my buddy ran? Check any board of forum you want and you show me the number of owners that are running mid-11's. Ls1.com are full of drivers running low 13's and upper 12's except for the few that have the characteristics noted above that are void in your little world. There was a gang or club of F-Body dudes at Shadyside two Sundays ago. They had at least 10 cars. There were two that kept eye balling me and I could tell they were talking about my car. I didn't see a single one run in the eights (I'll have to explain this to you numnuts, if you hear that someone run 8's in a near stock car then you automatically know they were running on a 1/8 track). I eventually went out and ran after I had my car sitting under a fan for an hour on a cool day and ran a 7.36 at 97.2 mph. I guess running those kind of times and speeds says I must know a little about cooling a car dipshit.

Now if you want to bring your little SS and take a bite out of any 03's running in my area, please let me know and I'll definately be more than happy to meet you at any track. I'd even be willing to drive 200 miles to knock that smart ass attitude right out of your ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

matstang03

Established Member
Originally posted by Xplicit
Yeah that'd be fun. Of course u know i'm going to video tape the race if it's on. I have a friend from Rockland County, NY that'd be interested too if you'd like. Great guy and racer. I'm sure your friend has more than just that just SLP exhaust on his SS..but it's cool ;-) Run what u brung.

Edit: HARRY! C'mon man :( I dont want sloppy 2nds!!

You can count me in :) I'd love to race him if he really wants too. My car is stock too, right Xplicit?.,.lol,. Let me know when and where, and i will be there .
Matt :beer:

:xpl: chevy

StangD281

Established Member
Should be getting some first hand info....

Welcome to the newest member, NY-SS (I'm guess that is the Rick in question here) :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread