Stock '14 GT500 vs. EVOMS tuned '07 911 Turbo

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Some friends and I went south of the border this weekend for some spirited driving..............

The field- My stock '14 GT500, a '13 GT500 w/res. delete, a 2007 997 Turbo with an EVOMS-rated 564 hp/589 tq (crank) EVOMS tune on 91, another 2007 997 Turbo with the full EVOMS EVT620 package (624/602 on 91), and finally a 2012 997 Turbo S with the dual-clutch PDK transmission, and another EVOMS package. For those unfamiliar with Evolution Motorsports (EVOMS), they are perhaps the most respected Porsche tuner in the world, and currently hold the Porsche Texas mile and quarter mile records IIRC.

Once we finally had a clean strech of asphalt, I lined up with the first Turbo for a 40-roll. We both started in second and I honked 3. We took off with both cars getting traction quickly (it was 85 degrees out). It was a great run, but I kept inching away for the entire length of it. At just under 160 I had 1.5 cars on him and I shut it down (the Shelby was still pulling away inch by inch). In fairness to the other two more powerful Turbos, we never had a chance to run. I think the other 2007 could have hung with me, if not pulled a car ahead, but he never wanted to run, despite my best efforts. The 2012 Turbo S would have blown my doors off by at least a bus or two so I'm not too worried about "what-ifs" on that scenario. (Funny part is, that guy has a tuned GT2 also).

All three Turbos were running straight 100 octane and I had a mix of 5 gal of 100 and approx 10 gal of 91 (for roughly a 94 tank average). The '13 GT500 was running at least a half bottle of Torco mixed in with a tank of 91 octane.

Overall, it was a GREAT drive and I came away absolutely impressed with the sport setting on the push-button Bilsteins of the SVT Performance Pakcage. Definitely takes the high-speed cornering ability of the Shelby to the next level!
DSC_3205_zps07ee7c7f.jpg

drive511_zpsc4ff6666.jpg

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nice op! All those cars are amazing, that run with the 620hp turbo would've been a great run though.

Turbo S and gt2's are my all time favorite cars. I can't wait to see how the new 991 turbos perform with the even faster pdk

Myfast70

Established Member
As mentioned in the other thread I did have a bit of a go against the Turbo S and he without a doubt pulled on me but it wasn't by bus lengths as Franz was thinking. I verified with my passenger that I had with me and we both agreed that he quickly put about 2 cars on me and was still pulling on me when he lifted. We both figured that he had a total of about 3 cars on me when he lifted.

I'm really thinking about stepping up my game a bit and doing some sort of a 13-6 kit to put me closer to the 700rwhp mark. I think at that point we would have the upper hand against the higher dollar cars that were there. Overall I'm pretty damn happy with the performance of my bone stock cars (sans res delete & blue Airaid filter). For a car that costs about a 1/3 of what I was beaten by, I have ZERO complaints!!

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Turbo S and gt2's are my all time favorite cars. I can't wait to see how the new 991 turbos perform with the even faster pdk

+1

I love Porsches. Haven't owned a GT2 or a PDK Turbo S, but I have had both a 996 and 997 Turbo and they are pretty tough to beat. Incredible steering feel, stunning interior, and an AWD system that just dominates off the line. (Had I raced any one of the three cars from a dig the story here would have probably been different- like trying to dig race a GTR). The 991 will just take this to the next level once again.

All of this said, the new GT500 is still the deal of the century. It has a smoother and quieter ride than my Turbo did, is faster in a straight line, and actually feels more stable north of 160 with the SVTPP Bilsteins in Sport mode. Now, if I can just figure out how to get a '14 GT500 and a new '14 991 Turbo in the garage at the same time, THAT would be a fun coin flip! :D

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
For a car that costs about a 1/3 of what I was beaten by, I have ZERO complaints!!

Agreed 100%. I just had lunch yesterday with a good friend who recently picked up a 2010 LP560 Gallardo Spyder. He asked me to take him for a spin in the GT500 and I came around a 90 degree corner in 2nd and instantly shot up to 125 mph while he held on for his life. After he dropped the F-bomb, he said that he couldn't believe how fast the Shelby was and thought that he would be hard pressed to keep up in his car. While I know that part of his comment was to patronize me since my car cost a quarter of what his Lambo did, I couldn't help but think that it actually would be a really close race!

Then I dropped him off in front of his sparkling pearl yellow Italian drop-top and realized that it didn't really matter which car was faster. That Lambo wins every race without ever leaving the parking lot! WOW, what a stunning car. :coolman:

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
+1

I love Porsches. Haven't owned a GT2 or a PDK Turbo S, but I have had both a 996 and 997 Turbo and they are pretty tough to beat. Incredible steering feel, stunning interior, and an AWD system that just dominates off the line. (Had I raced any one of the three cars from a dig the story here would have probably been different- like trying to dig race a GTR). The 991 will just take this to the next level once again.

All of this said, the new GT500 is still the deal of the century. It has a smoother and quieter ride than my Turbo did, is faster in a straight line, and actually feels more stable north of 160 with the SVTPP Bilsteins in Sport mode. Now, if I can just figure out how to get a '14 GT500 and a new '14 991 Turbo in the garage at the same time, THAT would be a fun coin flip! :D

Yeah Porsche just continues to fascinate, how powerful did you got your turbos? My dad just a few weeks back traded his turbo S cab that had evo intake, full header back tubi exhaust and giac tune, that shit absolutely moved out and was scary fast..

He got rid of that and his daily for a 991 Carrera 4s, I must say, I didn't think the handling could get much better on these cars but good god they certainly have, and that transmission is lightning fast.. But now I'm gonna have to constantly remind him how I have a faster car than he does now. Still need to line up and see how we stack up :burnout:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
love Porsches man

So the 2012 turbo S also had the EVOM package!? What does ( if you happen to know) that particular set up trap?

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
love Porsches man

So the 2012 turbo S also had the EVOM package!? What does ( if you happen to know) that particular set up trap?

I think the Turbo S with an EVOMS tune (no upgraded turbos, etc...) is in the mid 600 hp/torque range. Someone else on a different thread thought they trapped in the low 130s, which sounds about right since MyFast70 thought he got pulled by about three cars in his '13 GT500. Not sure what their start and stop speeds were. I like to cover at least a 100 mph spread on a pull (ie...60-160) to really get a feel for the full power range of a car. :burnout:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I think the Turbo S with an EVOMS tune (no upgraded turbos, etc...) is in the mid 600 hp/torque range. Someone else on a different thread thought they trapped in the low 130s, which sounds about right since MyFast70 thought he got pulled by about three cars in his '13 GT500. Not sure what their start and stop speeds were. I like to cover at least a 100 mph spread on a pull (ie...60-160) to really get a feel for the full power range of a car. :burnout:

:rockon: hell yeah it does,

Man im so tempted to buy my freinds GTR or the Shelby 13' i just took for a drive at lunch

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Thanks V! Have you run the mighty Z since all your mods have been completed?

Not on a track.....but I did have a three-way with a blue BMW 135 and a white GT-R on I-17 N on Sunday evening :burnout: I think both of them were buddies out for a Sunday drive.....the 135 lives somewhere near us as I've seen him before. I think the Beemer knew what was going to happen and was pretty funny when he pulled back up to me..... GT-R driver, not so much, and didn't say a peep afterwards.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Not on a track.....but I did have a three-way with a blue BMW 135 and a white GT-R on I-17 N on Sunday evening :burnout: I think both of them were buddies out for a Sunday drive.....the 135 lives somewhere near us as I've seen him before. I think the Beemer knew what was going to happen and was pretty funny when he pulled back up to me..... GT-R driver, not so much, and didn't say a peep afterwards.

A BMW 135? Wow, you're really going for the big races these days V! :poke:

The GT-R driver should stick to dig races if his car is still stock. He's bound to get his feelings hurt roll racing against Z06s and new GT500s out on the open road. Watching all Snorman's videos of his '13 Shelby walking away from his '13 GT-R is pretty eye-opening.

You're about due for a dyno run with all the new parts aren't you? Can't wait to see what you put down.

Users who are viewing this thread