stock 5.0 vs new honda v6

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
haha, i'm almost embarrassed posting this. i was driving home from my friends birthday with a friend in my car and i get to a light where once you get through the intersection it merges from two lanes to one. well this woman that looks to be mid 40's pulls next to me and the way she was moving forward a little bit made me think she was gonna try to get past me and i didn't wanna get stuck behind her so i's like i ain't havin that. i see the opposite light turn yellow and i bring the revs up a little bit and just start toying with the clutch a little bit to get it scooting forward and i see it turn red and start going a little and my light turns green and i floor it. at first she held her own a little bit (2.73 gears are no good off the line) but as soon as i slammed it into second she was goooooone and i let off at 80 satisfied that i let one more honda owner know those cars are built for economy, not speed. for any of you that are curious i'm driving a stock 90 mustang gt 5 speed. i know it needs mods but i'm 17 and make minimum wage so they'll be coming slowly but surely as i can put cash aside.

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
welcome to the Little Leagues!

j/j slap some 3.73's in that beast and wake it up!

and what other mods do you have if any?

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
CobraSvt9746 said:
welcome to the Little Leagues!

j/j slap some 3.73's in that beast and wake it up!

and what other mods do you have if any?
nada. bone stock. when get around to it i wanna give it a mild cam to keep it smog legal, gears, exhaust and a good suspension. i'm also hoping to get some black cobra R's but like i said before i am SUPER POOR so for now it's just my stock daily driver.

Velocity

Established Member
Some of those hondas are pushing 260 hp. The 6sp coup is mid fourteens. Your might have a hard time against the wrong model. Better get those mods. Some of those economy cars are pretty fast.

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
Velocity said:
Some of those hondas are pushing 260 hp. The 6sp coup is mid fourteens. Your might have a hard time against the wrong model. Better get those mods. Some of those economy cars are pretty fast.
i know, i think that's why she put up a fight. i'm pretty sure it was an automatic though cause she just stomped on the gas and went as soon as the light turned green while i feathered it trying to keep my tiny little tires planted.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
thenoz said:
i know, i think that's why she put up a fight. i'm pretty sure it was an automatic though cause she just stomped on the gas and went as soon as the light turned green while i feathered it trying to keep my tiny little tires planted.

when i bought my '87 GT it came with the 2.73 gears--its not too hard to keep your tires planted with a stock 5.0 and 2.73 gears. the 3.73's will really wake that car up bigtime. $180 for the gears, $65 for new clutch packs (do replace these if you do this mod), some gaskets, pinion seal, and $200 for an experienced mechanic to install them and THEN it will be hard to keep the tires planted anywhere in first gear, and maybe some in second.
good luck

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
when i bought my '87 GT it came with the 2.73 gears--its not too hard to keep your tires planted with a stock 5.0 and 2.73 gears. the 3.73's will really wake that car up bigtime. $180 for the gears, $65 for new clutch packs (do replace these if you do this mod), some gaskets, pinion seal, and $200 for an experienced mechanic to install them and THEN it will be hard to keep the tires planted anywhere in first gear, and maybe some in second.
good luck
well you must have had better tires that mine cause if i floor it at any rpm in first it'll break loose. i was thinking about doing 3.55's but like i said i'm suuuuuper poor and since i don't do any racing (except honda driving soccer moms) i'd rather do exhaust first. i'm not looking to make this thing super fast, i don't wanna be another statistic teen with his mustang wrapped around a telephone pole and a candle ceremony to remember him. that said thanks for all the positive advice guys, i really appreciate it.

SVTSNK2004- i'm not looking to get money out of this, i just wanna keep it for a long time and do things to it as i get money and make in a nice, clean fox. maybe when i make the big bucks i can get a turbo 347 stroker for it or something cool like that.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
if its cheap mods you want, start off with underdrive pulleys ($70)-an easy 10hp, remove the air silencer, and bump the timing from the stock 10 to 12-14 degrees. if you don't care about altering a stock 'cherry' mustang, try to remove some weight from the car (remove the sound deadening insulation, smog pump, AC if it doesn't work anymore like most '90 and older ones, rear differential anti-vibration mechanism, etc.). exhaust is a great entry level mod--a cat-back can run $250, and an off-road h-pipe-$150 will also reduce weight as those cats are definitely heavy.
if the car is a daily driver and sees lots of freeway time, go with the 3.55's. if not, the 3.73's will give you a bit more kick. 4.10's are usually for drag cars, and may not tolerate long freeway trips.
look online (ebay) and swap meets for bolt-on parts at a huge discount.

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
if its cheap mods you want, start off with underdrive pulleys ($70)-an easy 10hp, remove the air silencer, and bump the timing from the stock 10 to 12-14 degrees. if you don't care about altering a stock 'cherry' mustang, try to remove some weight from the car (remove the sound deadening insulation, smog pump, AC if it doesn't work anymore like most '90 and older ones, rear differential anti-vibration mechanism, etc.). exhaust is a great entry level mod--a cat-back can run $250, and an off-road h-pipe-$150 will also reduce weight as those cats are definitely heavy.
if the car is a daily driver and sees lots of freeway time, go with the 3.55's. if not, the 3.73's will give you a bit more kick. 4.10's are usually for drag cars, and may not tolerate long freeway trips.
look online (ebay) and swap meets for bolt-on parts at a huge discount.
i was planning on bumping the timing and getting a better filter and doing exhaust and maybe gears later on but i'd rather stay away from tacky weight reduction as this is my daily driver and i don't have the hook ups to get out of making it smog legal or anything like that. thanks for your advice though.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
LOL @ most 5.0's not having working A/C. It's only because the owners are too damn lazy to spend money for a recharge or a new cycle switch. My advice is keep it stock if it's in good condition. Enjoy driving it. My car was more fun to drive with a few bolt-ons than it was with the heads, cam, and all that other crap. It did sound good though.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
LOL @ most 5.0's not having working A/C. It's only because the owners are too damn lazy to spend money for a recharge or a new cycle switch. My advice is keep it stock if it's in good condition. Enjoy driving it. My car was more fun to drive with a few bolt-ons than it was with the heads, cam, and all that other crap. It did sound good though.

this is also great advice. i would agree that removing all kinds of stuff like insulation, etc. is probably tacky, and not necessary if alls you want is a nice clean daily driver, and are not going to seriously race the vehicle. and once i added heads/cam/intake on my car it definitely became less reliable, which translated into less fun to drive. add a few bolt-ons as cash permits and enjoy the car.
people at car shows love and respect a car that is 15 years old and unmolested, like yours. unfortunately, the soccer mom who pulls up next to you does not, and it would be a hard pill to swallow getting picked on by such cars.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
poopnut2 said:

Most of the time. My compressor actually sprung a leak at the input shaft right behind the pulley. took me a long while to find that one, and I haven't gotten a new compressor yet. Hopefully I'll be able to do that shortly after my engine build is complete.

And be careful with those hondas, as was already mentioned, a v6 model with a manual will definatly keep up with you. You likely raced a 4cyl auto....

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
kirk, i'm glad you agree with me. i just couldn't stand to see a soccer mom race past me...

Users who are viewing this thread