Stock 5.4 hp limits

cobrav8281

Rippin' Gears Out
Established Member
I just purchased a 2.9 whipple for my 2011 GT500 and as you can see with my signature I have all the supporting mods minus injectors and fuel pump(s). I have a few questions for you guys. What is the horse power limit of a stock 2011 GT500 5.4? I know some say rods. If you dont spin the rpms high and tune is right, what is the sheer hp limit? I am going to run e85 and I am wanting to make 800ish to the tire. What pulley would I need to run to make 750+ with the 2.9? What fuel pumps do you guys recommend as I do not want to run boost-a-pumps. I planned on getting ID1000's for injectors. What do you guys think about them? Am I missing any other parts I would need for the blower swap? I know that's a lot of questions but I know that there is a lot of info and experience from you all so let me know!:burnout:

Seer

Banned
I just purchased a 2.9 whipple for my 2011 GT500 and as you can see with my signature I have all the supporting mods minus injectors and fuel pump(s). I have a few questions for you guys. What is the horse power limit of a stock 2011 GT500 5.4? I know some say rods. If you dont spin the rpms high and tune is right, what is the sheer hp limit? I am going to run e85 and I am wanting to make 800ish to the tire. What pulley would I need to run to make 750+ with the 2.9? What fuel pumps do you guys recommend as I do not want to run boost-a-pumps. I planned on getting ID1000's for injectors. What do you guys think about them? Am I missing any other parts I would need for the blower swap? I know that's a lot of questions but I know that there is a lot of info and experience from you all so let me know!:burnout:

I've put down over 750rwhp with a whipple 2.9 and a 3.0 pulley, spinning the rpm's to about 6800. 72lb modified injectors and a dual kb comp bap. No issues at all so far.

Other power mods are: SCJ Mono TB (no driving issues at all), 127mm CAI, and Dynatech Headers with catless X.

cobrav8281

Rippin' Gears Out
Established Member
I've put down over 750rwhp with a whipple 2.9 and a 3.0 pulley, spinning the rpm's to about 6800. 72lb modified injectors and a dual kb comp bap. No issues at all so far.

Other power mods are: SCJ Mono TB (no driving issues at all), 127mm CAI, and Dynatech Headers with catless X.

How much do you drive your car? I drive mine about 7-8k miles a year (winter mostly garaged) with most of the miles driving it like I stole it. So how many years/miles have you had that setup. And who tuned it because I am going to be using a Whipple monoblade and need to make sure I can have it tuned perfect. A guy at VMP said Justin could try but he may not be able to.

Blackmax

Established Member

I was at or close to 750 rwhp on a Dynojet or 700 on the Mustang dyno when I popped my motor. I had no BAP and was on 94 oct. fuel, hot lapped the car on a warm day and had not changed fuel filter for a couple of years.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Do a search for the 'BMC' (blown motor club) thread.

My understanding is 23+ of boost is pushing it. I'm at 21# on race gas making 750ish on a 3.4. I could boost it more but it's just not worth the risk for a few extra horses. I am now trying to put this car on a diet which is almost just as good as adding HP.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
For whatever reason it seems like the 700+ area is where they start to let go. Most you will talk to say it's good to 750 though. I also havent' heard of a 11+ car in the BMC yet.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My 2010 has been making the numbers in my signature for 40,000+ miles on stock internals and a very conservative tune. It's compound boosted rather than just a blower, though.

cobrav8281

Rippin' Gears Out
Established Member
I guess ill find out. Im gonna shoot for 750-800 on e85. Hope I wont end up in blown. Motor club lol

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Good luck, I think the rods would be the weak point. Don't know how much boost one can take but let us know. No E85 readily available so I can't make the switch

thgt500

Established Member
I've been over 720rwhp for a while now on 93 with 72's and bap. Over 800 on URT advanced with a small shot. Now i've switched to E85 and return style fuel system, expect to be over 800 on blower alone. I don't rag my car daily but i do alot of 1/4 mile passes and car will be going to the Texas mile here in March. I've always been told RPM's are the killer on these with factory internals. In the 1/4 and on the street i shift at 6100 to 6250.

T

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Can't speak to E85 as it isn't available here. Making a tad over 750 on a 93 octane tune, usual intake / exhaust mods. Tuner has it red lined @ 6800. To go much higher, ( hp ), it would be wise to build the motor, just my opinion.

rdsnk46

Established Member
I would find out what pulley combo is good for 750 wheel on race/pump gas, then with you running E-85 it should be close or over 800rwhp as the increase is about 30-50 whp depending on setup.

Users who are viewing this thread