stock block

Skywarp

Established Member
A stock 03,04 Cobra block can safely hold 600 rwhp. I seen this on countless occasions on this forum. :read: I've also read here that 17lbs would be the safe max too on these blocks.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
575 is cutting edge, maximum limit, near destruction, peak sustainable power with 11.5-11.8 17psi tune. 600+ has popped MANY mills.

Seen it literally dozens of times.............

BWH2003

Established Member
I dont understand how the block can be that weak.

I come from the LS1 world and I can make an all aluminum ls1 push 600 all day long without any modifications to the block only the addition of pistons.

I can also take the iron truck version of the 6.0 liter a do 1000 hp easy with a turbo and all the supporting piston and rod mods.

Now why in the hell is the ford iron block so weak that it pops at the 600 limit. Please tell me something better cause I came from an ls1 for this reason hoping for a 700 hp mustang (Which by the way i have always dis-liked mustangs but the 03-04 cobras started to change my mind) but if I have to tear into the already forged motor I should have just stayed ls1.

Even with a bone stock ls6 motor with stock internals <---not forged anything--> my buddy is right at 535 to the wheels with a procharger and headers. Thats it and the car is very reliable and fast. What i dont get is he just has a motor that isnt forged one bit and ours are but apparently he can reliably put power to his whereas ours just expand the pistons and pop...blown motor. Please explain. Thanks

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
1. It's not the block that's the problem... a prepped stock block will live at over 1200 horse...
2. the pistons don't shatter... they are forged 4032 pistons they are very strong...
3. The failures that are piston related are generally due to the outrageously tight piston to wall clearance... which elevated cylinder temps from...
hot spot induced detonation, lean detonation, too much timing detonation, and just old school over heating... cause them to try to seize to the walls!!!
4. Sustained wide open throttle passes(high speed roll races) of 30 seconds or more, or BANZAI 5th gear top end pulls.. will also tax the fuel delivery and heat removal systems of otherwise well tuned modified cars.

Users who are viewing this thread