Stock bottom end & T5Z Limits?

Sleepr71

Established Member
New member here & getting back into a '93 Cobra after a long break:coolman:. My question is: how far(generally/safely) have most of you been able to push the stock bottom end(specifically..hypereutectic pistons:rollseyes) before problems developed? Same question for the T5Z(I guess that's what they call the '93Cobra T5:??:)? I'll be putting an IC Paxton Novi 2000 on mine shortly & am wondering how far to push the stock parts? I'm hoping I can get away with 350-400rwhp...on the stock motor/trans(upgraded exhaust,fuel system,tuned safely). Pipedream,or realistic expectations? Advice?:beer:Sleepr71

TX93Cobra

Established Member
really depends on how you drive it man... some people get away with t5z and 408... some people bust it with 300rwhp... If your not pounding on it i think it can last for a little bit...

Sleepr71

Established Member
Thanks TX93. Surprised.. No one else wants to chime in on this one...:shrug:?

venomisback

Big Member
Established Member
540 to the wheels on my stock block and trans, but I'm old and just a car crusier now. I just burn the tires off in 1st and 2nd from time to time.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Typically 500ish hp to the rear wheels is where the block starts having issues. If you keep rpm to sane levels and have a good safe tune you can do more. It's all about how it is driven. Some people will split a block with 400hp, some won't split one at 600hp.

T5z is the same story. It's all about how you drive them. Bang the crap out of them and you'll be fixing them left and right...

Sleepr71

Established Member
~500rwhp.. on hypereutectic pistons:dw:.I guess they're stronger than I thought! Cool,I think I'll shoot for 400-425rwhp,a conservative tune with meth. injection & granny shift it:lol1:. Thanks for the feedback guys:beer:.Sleepr71

02blackfoci

i had a h/c/i and a 175 and mine lasted 3 years until i sold it... i had no dyno numbers just read the plugs and once everything was fine with the timing and the fuel i well needless to say didnt take it easy on this particular setup....the car stil runs and drives til this very day with the same setup minus the nitrous kit

dangerzone

Established Member
Hypereutectics are actually pretty tough. Heavy but tough. Back in the day I had a 93lx basically exhaust,CIA,gears and a 210hp comucar kit. Combo was good for 7.60's and lasted many,many bottles. I cracked a piston one night street racing tho.. Is was completly my fault. My car bogged on me while dude got a great jump and it was natural instincts to grab the kit (1800rpm) KABOOOM. Sorry i got carried away lol.

Last edited:

FoxBodyMan

BLKWIDOW
Established Member
I made 579/620 with a single turbo, car had a very good tune which is key and I baby her as well so it lived for awhile, I just recently swapped to a dart block for a piece of mind.

Sleepr71

Established Member
After seeing what you guys have made... me going for only 400 is weak:loser:! Hmm..I now think I will shoot for 450(since I have an intercooler) & may use meth. injection as well..IDK yet,but at the end of the day..the T5Z is still the weakest link,IMO. Sleepr71

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The block should hold up for a while but the tranny is on borrowed time at 400 rwhp. Phosphate coated gears or not the t5 will go eventually. My 347 ate the t5 after 18 months but the car was a daily driver and saw lots of street action.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Get a shifter with positive stops like a Pro 5.0 to help the t5 live alittle longer. U lucked out with the last one i bought. Just rebuilt, billet shift keys, bronze forks, cf syncros, and steel retainer. Not a full built deal but with a pro 5.0, its doing just fine in a 225rwhp 3700lb car that sees regular dig runs...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Teal93

red cobra is at 400 to tires with original t5 and a 145,000 miles with vortech. green cobra 520 to tires with a turbo and 3 t5 trannys and 95,000 miles. both running strong still. Tune is key to the engine living and driving habit will determine how long tranny last.

Users who are viewing this thread