Stock firewall adjustment question. Please help

ZXMustang

Banned
Does anyone know what piece I am supposed to bend out of the way to STOP the stock firewall adjuster from functioning after I have manually adjusted it myself. I know how to click out the slack on the stock pedal adjuster, but the moment I power shift and the clutch pedal somes back up too fast, it moves out the adjuster and lets all the slack back in the pedal. It's like I have to readjust the clutch everytime I drive it. I read somewhere here where someone knew how to disable the stock adjuster so if you pulled up on the pedal, it wouldn't move the adjuster out and let the slack back out. I know I should get aftermarket stuff to fix this, but I am going to the track tomorrow, and I need to be able to slam gears. Otherwise, the clutch doesn't disengage until it gets to the floor, and most of the time I grind gears.

ZXMustang

Banned
Nevermind, I figured it out. All I had to do was bend a metal tab that was part of a bracket that holds some kind of switch that gets engaged when the clutch is not pressed. I bent the metal tab, and now when you pull up on the pedal, it doesnt push up on the firewall adjuster and release the clutch to let the slack in. If you go under the dash with a flashlight and actually see what happens with you step on the clutch and pull up on it you will see what I am talking about. For the record, I have no need for an aftermarket firewall adjuster because I figured out how to use the stock one. It does work, just not like the manual says it should. Kind of a pain in the ass, but now the car shifts fine and should not need to be readjusted. I will let you know if it does, but it shouldnt need to unless the plastic teeth break.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
ZXMustang said:
Nevermind, I figured it out. All I had to do was bend a metal tab that was part of a bracket that holds some kind of switch that gets engaged when the clutch is not pressed. I bent the metal tab, and now when you pull up on the pedal, it doesnt push up on the firewall adjuster and release the clutch to let the slack in. If you go under the dash with a flashlight and actually see what happens with you step on the clutch and pull up on it you will see what I am talking about. For the record, I have no need for an aftermarket firewall adjuster because I figured out how to use the stock one. It does work, just not like the manual says it should. Kind of a pain in the ass, but now the car shifts fine and should not need to be readjusted. I will let you know if it does, but it shouldnt need to unless the plastic teeth break.

Buy a new quadrant and firewall adjuster. It sounds like you are going to destroy the stock plastic one. The clutch is alot more consistent when you remove all the plastic crap.

ZXMustang

Banned
As long as it holds up, I will run with it. When it dies, than I will get one. I dont drive my car unless the sun is out and its dry. Its a weekend car, and if I cant drive it I have another car that I can take out

Users who are viewing this thread