Stock for stock 98 cobra or Z28

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
So my 98 is not stock but I stumbled upon a form that was obviously biased towards z28 Camaros over sn95 cobras. Im not a chevy guy but they were claiming that their cars were under rated from the factory at about 350 horsepower at the fly wheel. Also Claiming bone stock they can run 13.0 flat And would "eat a stock 14 sec sn95 for dinner" I would like to know what others opinions were on this

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Bone stock LT1 cars can range from 230-260rwhp depending on auto or 6 speed. There's a local guy to me that had a fresh rebuilt lt1 in his 1995 formula 6 speed and my friends bone stock 2004 gt pulled it by two car lengths every time. In stock form they aren't that quick but with full bolt ons (full exhaust, 1.6 rockers, electric water pump, tune, etc) they can make up to 320rwhp

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
LT1 camaros, drivers race. LS1 cars, you will lose unless its an auto in which case itll be close.

regardless, not may people run 13 flat in any LS1 camaro. low 13s.....rarely. certainly possible but rare because of driver/track limitations.

i believe the LS1 record for a bone stock car with slicks is like a 12.64 or something.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I'm assuming they were referring to the 98 plus LS setup Saw an LS driver on YouTube who ran 13.6x-13.7x consistently also saw a 13.4 run in another video claiming stock except air filter. (Not doubting seems more realistic than 13.0)

I have also seen similar numbers for stock sn95 4.6 4v

With Drs I can see the z28 going into the high 12s with a good driver but then again wouldn't an sn95 (96-98 4.6 4v) with the same drs and a good driver also enter in that same area making it a drivers race?

StayPuft

Established Member
LS1 will pull away from the cobra after 70mph. They're rated at 305hp but put that to the wheels

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I guess my answer is I don't really care lol. I always tell ppl that yea, the LS1 camaro is the better performance bang for the buck, but the car is so damn ugly that I don't want any part of it. Just get a blower and trust your odds

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I guess my answer is I don't really care lol. I always tell ppl that yea, the LS1 camaro is the better performance bang for the buck, but the car is so damn ugly that I don't want any part of it. Just get a blower and trust your odds

Lol I hear that. i think their sooooo ugly. No offense to z28 owners.

I'm not stock but I was curious as to the comparison of our cars compared to theirs stock for stock, still think it'd be pretty close with both being your average driver

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
good question, i dont know. i would guess no since the lack of torque and terrible gearing would make the car bog with slicks.

heres the ls1 camaro running 12s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iOpOtxufko

Yeah I'm sure slicks and 410s would beat A z28 consistently with slicks on it sure but now that wouldn't be stock now would it lol. But our gearing stock isn't right at all :\

Last edited:

qik_pny

Established Member
They are faster....but who cares, the gen4 Camaros were so great they set sales records from 2003-2009 :)
Who really keeps their cars stock and races them?

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
LOL...im so far from stock I don't even worry about them. Will have a cammed Coyote with Cobra Jet in there very soon :)

:dancenana: :banana: :) That's Sweet, somewhere down the line id like to go termi if not cobra jet :thumbsup: Let me know how she turns out im interested to know what your et's and power ratings are

Last edited:

96Mystic1189

Established Member
Come on guys lets get realistic. Stock for stock an ls1 will beat a b headed car every time auto or manual. Lets not forget the tons of stock lt1 cars going 13.7-13.9 with 6 speeds. I know this is a hard subject to talk about because we are Mustang owners. But from the viewpoint of having owned them both, I have to accept it.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
Come on guys lets get realistic. Stock for stock an ls1 will beat a b headed car every time auto or manual. Lets not forget the tons of stock lt1 cars going 13.7-13.9 with 6 speeds. I know this is a hard subject to talk about because we are Mustang owners. But from the viewpoint of having owned them both, I have to accept it.

Glad to hear from someone who has owned both. Im assuming it was an LS?

So Ive just learned their top performance package equivalent to the cobra comes with 3.42's while ours comes with 3.27s, also if it is true that they underrated their Camaro to overplay the Corvette (which I do not doubt) I see the advantage they have off the box at 345 or 350hp with better gearing . I still find it interesting that our et numbers stock are similar or close when comparing your average driver even with our disadvantage curtocy of Chevy's lies but I still will never EVER own that generation Camaro im sorry their just too ugly lol .

96Mystic1189

Established Member
I owned 2 lt1 6 speed cars, however every one of my friends have ls1 cars ranging from stock to HCI cars. Both of mine were trans ams. The Camaros and Firebirds weigh somewhere around 100-200 pounds more than our cars usually based on options. All of them (LS1 cars) also ran 13.1-13.4 bone stock as a rock when in automatic form and easy to drive.

When I had my 97 Trans Am LT1 6speed car it had CAI,Catback,4.10s, a tune, and drag radials. I raced a 97 Cobra from a rolling start several times. I have no idea what was done to his car but I would give him the kick and as I would go to rip past him, he would let off and brake real quick. No doubt the LT1 was faster, the question is how much not knowing his mods more than a catback.

Also thinking back my best friend had a 94 Z28 LT1 auto and I think it did a 14.3 bone stock but after a tune up, a catback, and a CAI it went 13.6-13.7 or so. I will check with him and if I am wrong I will update the numbers, but that sounds like stockish sn95 Cobra times with a decent driver. Sadly when you see most stock sn95 Cobras at the track they run 14's with inexperienced or average driver.

Also yes, they did underrate the ls1 cars from the factory. They usually put the advertised HP at the wheels.

Last edited:

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I owned 2 lt1 6 speed cars, however every one of my friends have ls1 cars ranging from stock to HCI cars. Both of mine were trans ams. The Camaros and Firebirds weigh somewhere around 100-200 pounds more than our cars usually based on options. All of them (LS1 cars) also ran 13.1-13.4 bone stock as a rock when in automatic form and easy to drive.

When I had my 97 Trans Am LT1 6speed car it had CAI,Catback,4.10s, a tune, and drag radials. I raced a 97 Cobra from a rolling start several times. I have no idea what was done to his car but I would give him the kick and as I would go to rip past him, he would let off and brake real quick. No doubt the LT1 was faster, the question is how much not knowing his mods more than a catback.

Also thinking back my best friend had a 94 Z28 LT1 auto and I think it did a 14.3 bone stock but after a tune up, a catback, and a CAI it went 13.6-13.7 or so. I will check with him and if I am wrong I will update the numbers, but that sounds like stockish sn95 Cobra times with a decent driver. Sadly when you see most stock sn95 Cobras at the track they run 14's with inexperienced or average driver.

Also yes, they did underrate the ls1 cars from the factory. They usually put the advertised HP at the wheels.

That's cool, what do you think your 97 would have run in the Qt Mile?

So I guess to sum it up LT1s we are dead even, possibly with the right driver we might even have a slight advantage. But the LS's have a slight advantage due to false advertised HP rating and better gearing setup. I can def see that being the case. 305hp w/ 3.27's vs 350 hp w/ 3.42's etc

Realistically speaking if you took our cars from the factory and just gave them 3.55s or 3.73s and an additional 45 hp to match their HP at the crank it would be dead even again making it the age old drivers race Mustang vs Camaro. So then it comes down to looks, which I always will say SN95 or termi over 94-04 z28s.: :-DCobras FtW:-D

Last edited:

StayPuft

Established Member
I've owned both as well. Stock 6spd 96 Z28 ran 13.9 @ 101 and 6spd WS6 went 13.6 @ 108. LS cars are nasty. Biggest issue with the LT1 cars were the exhaust manifolds. People swapping to LT's and no cats were picking up over 30Rwhp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread