stock heat ext/scoop

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I hate fake scoops and we have them all over our cars.....has anyone opened up the stock reverse hood-scoop to act as heat extractor, like a mini-termi version,.....and is there a nice billet, screen, etc... piece to replace that or maybe I just could cut out cleanly the stock plastic.......I am not worried about water, except for washing because she stays safely in the garage for rain...and only after I get a blower would I feel comfortable about changing to an R hood or Termi hood but thought this might be cool/sort of functional after seeing some of the termi grills that were available for their hoods....surely im not the first to think of this, but I got nothing on my search.....

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ive wanted to find a spare hood off a v6 to play with. I think if the opening was larger and the channel running back was deeper it would look good and be functional.

Similar to this but smaller and not extended down to the radiator. Maybe extend the sides down 4-5" at the front and taper up as they go back, if you follow what I mean.
chevrolet-corvette-c6r-06.jpg

snakeraper11b

Established Member
A guy on corral made an almost completely carbon fiber mustang weighing 2600 lbs a few years ago. His hood was very similar to that corvette hood. I'll dig up the link in a few hours.

EDIT: I managed to track down the thread. Its older than I remember, 2006. The only reason I remember it was because of the impressive build. Most of the pics have been removed, unfortunately. I did find one however that gives you an idea just how in depth the build was. It also is a good example to the hood ventilation in question.

To answer the OP's question, yes, I have heard of someone cutting out the area behind the plastic vent and the bars of the vent itself and reattaching it all, it looked great. The owner said he could see heat rising from the vent while stopped.

PaulsCar.gif

Last edited:

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I have thought about cutting mine and dropping it a few inches like 99Cobra said

And with mine I do see heat rising out of it when stopped.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Pretty much making it a single vent 03-04 hood?

98, you must have snuck that post between mine while I was searching for your thread from memory, didn't even notice until right now haha.

Last edited:

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
exactly what I was looking for.......thanks.....I believe that I may try to cut out the horizontal part between the top and bottom slots and leave just one verticle right in the middle....to where you have two big slots, instead of 16 tiny ones.....each slot will take the place of eight tiny slots to the left and right of the remaining vertical one, seems like that would maximize the potential benefit.............and if I dont like it, just order a new one and start over...

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I hadnt even thought about this being fiberglass.....so I will use my cordless oscillating/multitool......if you dont have one you should, they are amazingly easy to handle on delicate work.....you could probably plunge cut the whole thing(scoop and hood) without ever even taking it apart; with the right blade....may try it, worst case scenario...I need a new factory plastic piece, plus I might have to go clean up the edges from underneath the hood....my blanket is a little rough looking so I am just going to pull it off......only down side I have heard was that AM radio reception suffers a little....paint seems to be ok....

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I used my drimel, pulled the blanket off as well but no issues with radio service.

I like your idea of removing the up bars were I left mine it will open it up more.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
after closer inspection, mine is not glued in.....like it is clipped in or something, so I can wiggle it back and forth a little, so there must be different versions of this......and all of the tiny slots are already open from the factory, so all you need to do is open up the hood.....but seeing this, I am still going to cut out 2 big slots....should breathe better and look better too.........

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I am half tempted to try this myself. I hate having a non-functional hood. Maybe I would actually keep it if I did this.

Last edited:

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I got done, and it looks great.......I took pics and will post up a tutorial in another thread once I get time, need to still take some "after" pics outdoors, the garage was dark last night and the pics are just ok....the factory cut outs look like they had this in mind....Im surprised that there is more than one version of this hood.....but Im glad I have the pre-cut hood version, that has drains for the water, def made this less daunting.....it actually looks great with out even putting the modified scoop/grill back in....but it is mighty dirty there, needs some serious TLC........and tons of grime under the blanket as I removed it.........

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
Before......this extractor is just snapped in place by 6 litttle plastic lips ....you can see thru the slots down inside my hood to the drain channels, unlike the other guy whos was glued in place and the hood was not slotted from the factory.....

1st pics ever posted here so Im just gonna try this one 1st......

evo212121003.jpg
[/IMG]

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
so I could have just cut under the hood and made it functional without modding the plastic scoop, but what fun would that be.......

evo212121008.jpg

By tripheath at 2012-02-12

snapped in place was much easier to control the cutting, used my multitool/oscillating ....on very low.....

evo212121025.jpg

removed for final sanding with multitool, and some serious cleaning

evo212121035.jpg

popped back in place.......but I am going to clean up the cutting underneath and then black out all the silver painted surface that you can see from the top, and underhood to give it a really slick appearance.....Ill post more finished stuff when Im done.....

Users who are viewing this thread