Stock mid pipe

bmyles

Established Member
Hey everyone I can get a stock mind pipe locally for $100. I have been looking at o/r mid pipes and $300 for some pipe seams a little steep to me especially since by the time it gets here it will be almost 400 with shipping and duty. Anyway does any body see a problem with getting the used one and gutting it? I am a welder and have my own welding machine so the mod and install are no cost. Just looking for opinions here, I did the same with my 08 with no problems but figured I should check first. Thanks

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
the factory exhaust is some type of stainless steel, but I don't think it's 304, and I know it's damn sure not 409.

An aftermarket O/R pipe is beneficial in many ways.

1) You eliminate any necking down that occurs in the stock midpipe, and receive (in most cases) mandrel bent pipes to not reduce gas flow.
2) You get a better quality steel material that helps to resist corrosion a little better than factory, or with 409, hardly any corrosion at all.
3) You are also eliminating the small baffle that acts as the "H" in the stock midpipe, and giving it a larger and freer flowing straight section without the baffle.

If you want to play with a stock midpipe, just cut out the neck down right behind the cats, and weld in some true 3" pipe, or whatever matching OD pipe that needs, and do the same for the baffle replacement.

Or, just buy some pipe and build your own...

Users who are viewing this thread