Stock motor and doing pullies: is a TB and cold air worth putting on as well while getting a tune?

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
2012: I'm stock (Other than it came with K&N cone filter) looking to go with VMP 2.5 and idler with Lund or VMP tune. I'm getting all these mixed answers in searches regarding the 11-12's and do they need a cold air and/or TB. I have no problem picking these up too, but if they're not really doing much without going to a TVS, does it make sense to put these on now?

Thanks for any advice. I've had 03 with Lund tune and ported Eaton with upper/lower and JLT CAI because they benefited from the cold air. There's a lot of comments on here saying you don't need a CAI on the 11+ cars though.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
With the stock blower you really don't need a larger MAF diameter. Larger diameter MAFs are used to slow down airflow so that the MAF sensor can properly meter airflow and not peg. The stock CAI will be more than adequate at the power level of the stock blower. The stock TB is pretty small. I wouldn't hesitate on an upgrade.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Thanks Catmonkey. Sounds like add a TB at same time as doing the pullies/tune?

Mbiro594

Established Member
When you add the VMP pulley and idler a tune is not necessary according to Justin at VMP. The stock CAI is sufficient, adding an aftermarket CAI will require a tune and Is well worth the money.

I had just the pulleys on my car for a few days and there was a noticeable difference. Once I installed my JLT 127mm and Lund tune, it felt like a whole new animal.

Just added a 65mm dual cobra jet throttle body and honestly couldn’t tell a difference but I doubt you would be able to notice an additional 10-20hp at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread