Stock power/suspension, M6, what breaks first?

t-ray

Established Member
As the title asks, with a stock suspension car at stock power levels, what breaks first at the track?

My drag radials are worn out, and I need to replace them. My car is now my daily driver (used to be weekend-only), and my doesn't want me to get new rubber for the strip for fear of breaking something.

t-ray

Established Member
Thanks guys. The car has behaved well on the DR's so far. I think I'm just going to continue to push my luck.

Jday14

Established Member
Am's 14 coyote build broke an axle on what looked like drag radials, they were making just over 4 hundo to the wheels when it happened.

t-ray

Established Member
The best I've cut was a low 1.7, like a 1.70x. That was just one run. Most of the time it was in the 1.8 range.

Other than axlebacks, this car is completely stock. The DR's were BFG's, 255/50/16, so not any wider than the stock brembo tires. And they are now 8 years old, so pretty worn out.

I plan on getting the exact same tires, but I don't know if they will be any more effective. In other words, I don't know my cutting 1.8's was due to relatively skinny DR's, the stock suspension, or what.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
^ Your horrible short time is from those old ass tires.

If you get new rubber you will cut better times.. However, plan on breaking things with DR and a M6.

Why not get some et streets or drags?

Last edited:

t-ray

Established Member
To be honest, I've never driven on slicks. I don't want to invest in a full big and skinny setup, and I've read that without matching fronts, slicks are wobbly on the big end. Call me a pussy, but I'm afraid of slicks lol

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Are the axles the weak link in the rear? If so, would welding the tubes or installing an axle brace help, or is it the axle itself?

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I wheel hop unloaded on the street and bent the shit out of an axle. Completely stock car, only had it 3k miles or so. No issues with power now, but suspension probably makes that difference

Users who are viewing this thread