Stock Predator Tune

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
I have a 2004 Cobra. Currently it has a 3.1 pulley, K&N FIPK, stock Cats and a magnaflow catback. I've been running the stock predator pulley tune for a while now and was just wondering if anyone knew how safe they were? I've never had my car's A/F checked... It runs super good and does not ping (even in 6th gear flooring it up a hill).. I did up the fuel percentage by 3% on the low end and high end just to be safe...

I did some searches but coulnd't find anything on this... I have seen a few posts in the past with 2.80 pullies and 4lb lowers and crazy setups that I woulnd't try on a stock tune ... But i'm running a 3.1 which some people have ran on a STOCK tune -- so basically my question is will this HURT my motor? I know I can make more power with another tune...

Lastly, who provides good mail order tunes?

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited:

Assaulter

Retired Military
Established Member
The "canned" Predator pulley tune is designed for cars with 12 -14lbs. max boost (3.2 to 2.93 in. pulleys). The canned tune is designed to be super safe. The 3% increase you added may be a bit overkill. You can ask anyone on this site and they'll recommend getting a custom tune. I had a very noticeable performance improvement after getting a custom tune. Hell, even my gas mileage improved and my A/F ratio's are still in the high 11's. Trust me, spend the money......you won't regret it.

racebronco2

Established Member
with my 3.10 and canned tune it was rich below 4000 and lean above 4000 but i could have it backwards .... i bought a wb a/f gauge to be safe

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
Stock tune with my Predator was VERY lean... and this was at 5000'. I added 10% fuel in order to bring it down. And the Predator is lean in the lower RPM's, won't go below 12.1/1 no matter how much fuel I add or timing I pull.

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
I would get a custom tune or atleast get your a/f checked just to make sure. Canned tunes are the worst.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Stock Predator tune is nothing special, that's for sure! We have routinely picked up 20+ HP going from a pulley tune in the Predator to a custom tune.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
Yeah before my pulley they made a pull on the dyno just to see what we'd pick up after the swap it was super lean. I'd invest in strapping it to the dyno for a custom tune. Hey can somebody PM me with what a safe A/F is. I think mine is at like 12.2 all the way across the chart.

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
stock predator tune is crap. I had a stock tune with more than 7% fuel added to it to make it safe. I got smart and got a custom tune from Mile Hi. End result 20 hp and 20 tq increase at the tires. I have the before and after dyno sheets if you need proof. The MileHi custom tune was the best and cheapest mod and I got 20/20 more at the tires.

mrose75

Established Member
Go get a custom tune. Don't trust the Predator tune. I don't think too many people run that tune for a good reason. I had a similar issue when I bought mine. Running lean. As far as e-mail tunes, I used RWTD @ www.runninwiththedevil.com. Good luck.

ricksterman

Established Member
The stock predator tune works fine to a point. At 5500' w/ a 2.75 and 4# lower (14-14.5# of boost), the pulley tune was worthless. Ran lean, and there was nothing we could do to change it (including going to 38% rich). Custom tune fixed it. Basically change the MAF curve, not the open loop table as the predator does it. It is ok if you make small changes to your fuel tables.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
definately get a MileHi tune. I don't have access to great tuners locally and my wideband says the tune I got from MH is spot on.

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
Well guys just wanted to say thanks. Also wanted to add my feedback for anyone else in the future doing searches.

I got an RWTD tune the other day from Ed. Man let me tell you, the car is so much more responsive and powerful. It was like putting on my K&N air filter for the first time - the car had to of picked up at least 20hp. The gas mileage is awesome too! I haven't gotten it A/F tested yet, but hope to do that soon!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread