stock pulley issue 03 cobra----HELP NEEDED!

GFTP

Established Member
Hey guys, so heres a quick run down of the issue im having with my 03 cobra i just got running.

The supercharger pulley is routed correctly, however the belt is sliding forward immediately at the idler pulley between the SC and the alternator. I used a level and have determined that the alternator is recessed further than the sc and idler pulley. Is that normal? (i dont think it is). If not, any idea how to bring the alternator pulley forward so that its "in line" with the others?

This brings me to question #2. If the alternator is recessed, wouldnt that cause the belt to be pulled backwards on that idler instead of forwardS? Im at a complete loss and cant seem to find anyone else with this issue. (These $50 belts i keep shredding are adding up quick!)

History:
Bought the car with a kenne belle on it from previous owner. SC was stolen off the car and i had to buy a stock one to get it back to running. I put the stock one on, with stock pulley and drove it for about 20 miles then this started happening. Got a new belt, and now it pops off or shreds before the car even goes anywhere. Its not making any sense to me how it happens so quickly now, but i was able to drive it for quite awhile a short time ago. The alternator and crank pulley appear to be stock. (would there be any reason that the alternator would have been recessed due to a larger blower?)

Any help is appreciated! I will be adding pics here shortly!

GFTP

Established Member
E1D3270C-9CA7-4CE7-8DB1-29216BAF933A_zpsmcp8firw.gif

This is the alternator bracket. If you notice the gold mounting tab, is it in the correct position? I feel like i need the whole gold mounting tab and alternator to slide forward and be flush/almost flush with the head of that bolt? Maybe someone can take a look at theirs or post a pic of their alternators orientation?

5F1D158B-E3F6-4029-A9D6-2D344DF23C8F_zps3t8tawso.gif

This is what happens after 3-5 seconds of the car running. The belt works its way toward the front of the idler pulley that is between the supercharger and alternator, even though i feel the alternator is too far back.

Here is a photo of the other idler, between the tensioner and sc. Everything appears fine to my "noob" eyes. but maybe someone else can notice something wrong.
68E6BB34-0F35-4F6B-BAD7-7DCEC20059AD_zpszb9opqfw.gif

any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
With the belt removed how does that idler spin/feel next to the power steering reservoir? The one the belt is barely hanging onto.
I agree with you that if the alternator was too far back the belt would contact the bridge. I'm thinking that idler pulley is cocked/canted causing the belt to ride forward. Like the bearing is shot.

I'll check mine out if no one chimes in.

SV

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Hey guys, so heres a quick run down of the issue im having with my 03 cobra i just got running.

The supercharger pulley is routed correctly, however the belt is sliding forward immediately at the idler pulley between the SC and the alternator. I used a level and have determined that the alternator is recessed further than the sc and idler pulley. Is that normal? (i dont think it is). If not, any idea how to bring the alternator pulley forward so that its "in line" with the others?

This brings me to question #2. If the alternator is recessed, wouldnt that cause the belt to be pulled backwards on that idler instead of forwardS? Im at a complete loss and cant seem to find anyone else with this issue. (These $50 belts i keep shredding are adding up quick!)

History:
Bought the car with a kenne belle on it from previous owner. SC was stolen off the car and i had to buy a stock one to get it back to running. I put the stock one on, with stock pulley and drove it for about 20 miles then this started happening. Got a new belt, and now it pops off or shreds before the car even goes anywhere. Its not making any sense to me how it happens so quickly now, but i was able to drive it for quite awhile a short time ago. The alternator and crank pulley appear to be stock. (would there be any reason that the alternator would have been recessed due to a larger blower?)

Any help is appreciated! I will be adding pics here shortly!

The alternator pulley should be in line with the rest of the pulleys, as you look at it from directly above. If the pulley is recessed the.n the rigidity of the belt could cause it to come off at wherever the belts gets the least resistance. If the alt. pulley is clearly not in line, I would start your troubleshooting there. Since you bought the car used, you're going to have to do some extensive trouble shooting to find the problem. Ensure the alternator is the correct model by checking part numbers and reference with pictures if what you KNOW is the correct alternator. The. I would suggest checking the pulley on the alternator to ensure it's the correct one. It's common that when changing blowers and blower pulley sizes, to change the alternator pulley to slow down the rotations of the alternator so as not to over spin it by installing a larger alternator pulley. If this was my problem, I would ensure the alternator is installed correctly by getting pictures of stock setups from other members. The n ensure the pulley is correct by doing the same thing. When I had a blower car, I changed the alternator pulley to a larger one from metco. That kit came with a spacer that was to be installed on the alternator shaft, between the alternator housing and it's pulley. Measure the diameter of the alternator pulley and ensure that it is the correct size for the pulley on the supercharger snout. Also ensure that the spacer is there on the alternator. I believe the stock alternator pulley has the spacer welded onto it. Take a methodical approach and the problem will present itself. Good luck man.

Feel free to send me a pm and I will try to help as much as I can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread