Stock rear ride height - how much difference between sides is normal?

SlowVert

Established Member
Hey guys...

I have a 2014 GT500 Convertible with 4K on it - bone stock suspension and tires. Yesterday I noticed the left rear of my car looked to be sitting a bit lower than the right right side. At first I thought it might be the pavement.... but after putting it back in the garage and walking back behind it I could notice a the difference. So I measured tire pressure (same) then measured the floor to the center/top of wheel wells. The left rear is a solid 3/8" lower than the right. After measuring - drove it with the wife and kids for about 60 miles - and measured again - same 3/8" difference. I also measured the front - they were even... so it's just the rear that is off.

I know some pointed out after installing lowering springs this can happen but most mention about 1/4"... is there a tolerance that is considered normal? Figured I'd ask the experts here before bringing it in to be looked at and told "it's fine" even if it's not.

Thanks.

J.

paluka21

Established Member
Most likely normal. Mine is the same way and several other 13/14 cars were the same. Lowering springs would definitely help the "look".

SlowVert

Established Member
Most likely normal. Mine is the same way and several other 13/14 cars were the same. Lowering springs would definitely help the "look".

Yeah - had a feeling it was close to "normal" - but it just bothers me to see that side sitting a little lower. No clue why I didn't notice it before.

Lowering springs are in the future once the warranty expires.

J.

paluka21

Established Member
I believe Ford racing has springs which lower the car .50" - .75". I'm considering them because I can't lower the car too much due to the incline of my driveway. Perhaps you could look into them as well.

Snoopy49

Established Member
According to the 2014 Mustang Service Manual, there is a ± 8mm (.314") spec on the front and rear ride height.

SlowVert

Established Member
According to the 2014 Mustang Service Manual, there is a ± 8mm (.314") spec on the front and rear ride height.

Snoop - is that a .314 allowable difference side to side? If so - I'd probably have a hard time battling that one as I'm sure I'm close to that if they used some sort of caliper instead of a tape measure.

J.

BMR Tech 2

Thats fairly normal on S197s. As Snoopy pointed out, there is a tolerance for ride height. Most often this tolerance is in the construction of the vehicle body, and the car will still have one side that is a little off after lowering.

Dawgman

Established Member
What should the stock ride height on a 13/14 be from top of wheel opening to the ground? I measured (2) 13's and a 14, all stock, and the (2) 13's were almost exactly the same and the 14 was almost an inch higher. I would not think the adjustable shock settings would have any bearing on ride height.

Snoopy49

Established Member
My 2013 with stock height SVT PP measured (No suspension mods except adjustable panhard bar):
28 3/4" Front, Both Sides
29 3/4" Drivers Side Rear
30" Passenger Side Rear
All measurements were taken from the center of the wheel cap to the bottom of the fender. Car has about 6500 miles on the meter.

Tires:
275-40-19 Michelin AS 3 Front - 35 PSi
285-35-20 Michelin AS 3 Rear - 35 PSI
1/2 tank of gas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread