Stock Resonators vs. Pypes M-80 mufflers

Doug1227

Established Member
Which would be quieter? I currently have offroad X, stock resonators and OTA's and Magnaflow Race Series (muffler deletes) on a twin turbo coyote. It's just a LITTLE louder than I'd like with some drone in the 2-2200 rpm range. Would welding an inline muffler like a Pypes M-80 or Magnaflow Competition in place of the resonators make it MORE or LESS quiet?

rotarymagic

Established Member
Get a kooks catback that's 3inches all the way through and then weld the longest 3in/3out dynomax bullets, vibrant bullets, or kooks race bullets on the x pipe trailing pipes that you can. You'll get the flow, not alot of drone, and it'll be quiet. If it's relatively quiet on a N/A car, it'll probably be damn near silent on a turbo car.

Doug1227

Established Member
I've got electric cutouts to eliminate ALL backpressure, but am more interested in a quick and easy solution to the drone and volume. For what it's worth, my car made 960/850 through the offroad X, stock resonators and OTA pipes and single tip GT500 mufflers. I wanted a little more sound and that's where I am now.

Nuar

Established Member
My suggestion? Just get bassani axle back.
It's a straight through muffler, so it will not kill your top end power or restrict air flow. It does wonders for drone, I had LOTS of drone with a magnaflow catback. I switched to stock OTA pipes and the bassani mufflers and I love the sound and zero drone.

clc44

Established Member
Op, I don't think switching the resonator to something else will help enough. I'd switch axle backs. I love my kooks. Find something used and save some cash. I'm sure someone will buy what you have now.

Doug1227

Established Member
I was originally looking for Magnaflow Competitions instead of Race Series, but I realized that they are made to work with their catback, not axleback. Bassani looks very similar and will probably sound similar with a race style muffler instead of deleted. I may look into that. Cost isn't a big factor. I sold the GT500 singles to pay for what I have, and can pay for something else by selling the Magnaflows. You just might be right on point, Nuar!

Nuar

Established Member
I actually went from magnaflow comp catback to stock ota pipes and bassani mufflers. The tone is pretty much identical, except there is no drone and its a little less loud when cruising with the bassani and stock ota pipes.
Though it still screams at wide open throttle :p
Try them out, I think you will be happy with that combination :)

Last edited:

nosscort

Established Member
You want no drone??? Corsa sport or extreme will eliminate all drone... Guaranteed

Users who are viewing this thread