Stock shifter?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Happy with it. Learn its quirks and it workd just fine for all applications.

Swervedriver

Established Member
I just swapped mine out last night for the UPR blue thunder. I've only got 1K miles on my car so I haven't been beating it yet, but by looking at all of the rubber & plastic on the stock shifter I can see how a quick shift can turn into a missed shift.

The solid blue thunder does feel better & repositions neutral, 1st, 3rd, & 5th further back.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=381

CobraTone

Established Member
I normally don't have any issues with it. Not enough to invest 200 bucks in a new one anyways. Although if I was more into racing I probably would.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Originally posted by spinscan
Anyone besides me like it. I have no problems with it.

It doesn't compare to an aftermarket shifter. Once you install a decent shifter, you'll wonder why you ever tolerated the stocker.

I agree that you can get used to the stock shifter and learn its quirks, but you still won't have as accurate shifts as you could with an aftermarket part.

Think of it this way: Your hand is always in contact with that shifter. You're always moving it and it provides feedback as you drive. It's an interface to part of the car. If the shifter is sloppy, your driving experience will be diminished.

A shifter should be the first mod anyone makes in my opinion.
:beer:

BlueSVTSnake

Established Member
have any of you with an 03 and a stock shifter ever driven a gt or older cobra with a stock shifter? the throws are a 100% improvement with the t56. i drove a stock gt yesterday. 2nd is practicallytouching my hip and i banged my knuckles into the radio on a hard shift to 3rd. compared to the t5 and 3650, the throws on the t56 are beautiful.

CobraTone

Established Member
It does feel more accurate than my 00 GT's did. I missed third in the GT all the time, don't do it that much in the cobra. The Cobra feels a little "notchier" to me.:shrug:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Personally I was not impressed at all with the stock shifter. It is a heavy duty transmission that can handle the power we're seeing with mods, but I also expect a tranny to shift solidly through each gear. Not so with the T56. It may be an improvement over the other trannies, but it is still inferior to many others out there, including the Viper tranny. At best we can install at aftermarket shifter and shift quadrant/firewall adjuster. These mods do help. But the bottom line is that Ford could have/should have done better on a $36,000. car.
:rollseyes

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
I've got the MGW Deluxe Gripper on my GT and it's true, it does feel more solid when you shift. I'm still, however, going to pick up a Pro 5.0 as soon as I can (with the MGW handle).

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by Swervedriver
I just swapped mine out last night for the UPR blue thunder. The solid blue thunder does feel better & repositions neutral, 1st, 3rd, & 5th further back.

Good choice. Great shifter. Less money. :beer:

Matt M PA

Established Member
My only gripe with the stock shifter is that 1, 3, 5 are a bit of a reach for me with the seat where I like it.

CaptNemo

Evil Genius
Established Member
Another UPR Blue Thunder Owner. Much better than stock. I even like the shifter better than the Tri-Ax ( More spring tension for the gates ), although I may try a Steeda lever as it has a little bit of offset to the driver's side, the UPR lever has no offset.
About 50 minutes to install with fetching tools and clean up.

nj7703

Established Member
As sloppy as the stock is, do you find the aftermarkt ones noisy? clunky?

Swervedriver

Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
As sloppy as the stock is, do you find the aftermarkt ones noisy? clunky?

Yes it does transmit more noise than the stock one but that's expected since there is no insulation/isolation. The trade-off is that you never have to worry about smashing that isolation when trying to slap 3rd.

I wouldn't say it's clunky. I'd call it snappy. It feels more snappy when it falls into gear, and it makes a "clack" right at that point.

King03Cobra

Established Member
It doesn't compare to an aftermarket shifter. Once you install a decent shifter, you'll wonder why you ever tolerated the stocker.

That was my mentality too. I didn't have a problem with the stock one but I kept hearing everyone talk about the aftermarket ones. So I bought the Tri-Ax and then I fully understood what everyone was talking about. There is a huge quality difference between stock and aftermarket, you really feel the difference.

:thumbsup:

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Originally posted by BlueSVTSnake
have any of you with an 03 and a stock shifter ever driven a gt or older cobra with a stock shifter? the throws are a 100% improvement with the t56. i drove a stock gt yesterday. 2nd is practicallytouching my hip and i banged my knuckles into the radio on a hard shift to 3rd. compared to the t5 and 3650, the throws on the t56 are beautiful.

Agreed I think the cobra shifter is fine. The old t5s now thats another story :fm:

KDog

Established Member
Only reason I'm looking for an aftermarket shifter is because of the 2-3 and 5-6 shifts. If I'm trying to get to 3rd in a hurry, it usually won't go without some force or moving around. The 5-6 shift is just awkward.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
I always thought the stock shifter was fine untill I installed my Blue thunder. now I don't even have to think about the 2nd to 3rd shift or 4th to 5th which I had problems with every once in a while with the stock one......

davidmax

Established Member
Forget about the benefits of noot hitting wrong gears,missing shifts,downshifting to 2nd VS. 4th just look at the driving experiance.
It makes the car feel faster because you can burn through the gears faster and it instills a large level of control and confidens,and makes it a blast to drice.
I run the pro 5.0 only because thats the one I bought cheapest at the time but the Steeda,Tri ax,MGW all of them are great even the soft touch Kirban which I had on my 900 rwhp vette.
I would say it makes it a more complete car IMHO,Dave Smilovic
480-517-4969

Users who are viewing this thread