stock springs no isolators?

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
I know there are a lot of people that run aftermarket springs without the isolators, but has anyone kept the stock springs and removed the isolators? I don't plan on doing suspension mods for a couple more years, but I would like to lower the car a little. I don't want to cut the springs either. Beside, if I drop a full inch, it will probably be too low for most Pittsburgh streets.

Thanks.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
There is absolutely no ride difference with cutting stock springs. I did it for 10 months and 10k miles. Buy another set of stock springs, trim 3/4 of a coil all the way around and leave the iso's in. In my sig pic, the springs are cut 1/2 coil all the way around.

I could not believe that I waited 1 1/2 years to lower my car.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Better too cut and leave the isos in. Plus taking out the isos aint going to do much.

Vae_Victus

Established Member
YEah like the above posts said, definately nothing wrong with cuttin ur stock springs. I have 1 full coil cut all around for almost 2 yrs now with absolutely no issues. I go to drag strips and open track racing on a yearly basis and never had a problem. As for removing the isos I am almost certain there is nothing wrong with that because others do it, albeit on aftermarket springs but i dont see the difference with the exception of spring rate. I will be removing my front isos in about a week's time so i will pm u with the results. Good luck man and DEFINATELY drop the back. I c what u mean man...doesnt sit right.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
He never said there was anything wrong with cutting stock springs. In fact, he specifically said he did not want to cut his springs. So many people shove that down other's throats, sheesh.

Now to answer your actual question, according to the MM tech quoted in the thread below, you'll drop about .63" in the front, and .31" in the back when removing both isolators.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-modifications-211/653438-iso-combo-slight-rake-vert-h-r-race-springs.html#post9091613

That will actually increase your rake, so I'd be hesitant to remove all eight isolators. I would start by removing both rear iso's and tune the front ride height and rake by removing the bottom or top isolator from the front.

I've been curious about this myself, so post pics!

Jefe

Established Member
Ya max drop you'll get from removing both isos per spring is about .5". Im not sure you'll be happy enough with the result for the effort it took to get those isos out without doing some cutting

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
Thanks for the info, I kind of figured no one has done this.

I would love to drop a full inch or more, but I have scraped a few times where I am at now, specifically my own driveway. The wifes xfire has done that a couple times as well, just cant pull straight in.

I think I will try just isos and see how it looks. I will post pics, but its gonna take me a few weeks to get to it.

The biggest reason I want to lower it is that I got some y2k Rs and when I put them on, it looked like the gap got bigger, probably due to smaller side wall tires. The wheels are off now until i pass inspection and they are going to go back on for the summer. I will update by the end of the month if I can.

metaman

Established Member
If the reason why he does not want to cut the stock springs is because it will sit to low, then he should just cut less off of the stock springs. Go like 1/2 coil all the way around.

Jefe

Established Member
If hes already scraping with the stock ride height, then cutting anything off will make it even lower....

Users who are viewing this thread