Stock stereo system problem

~Ray~

Established Member
Stock Premium sound stereo system problem

OK here's the deal.. When I bought my 93 Cobra it had a aftermarket radio in it, amp was gone & wiring harness chopped, so I bought a new 93 cobra "premium sound" radio "the one listed on ebay" from AAAA, here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...ryZ38644QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Got a couple radio/amp wiring harnesses & made one out of the two, bought a used amp from someone on the boards, hooked it up "after double & triple checking the wires" etc turned it on & walla it worked :banana: but immediately upon turning up the volume I realized there was a very obvious problem, the sound & overall tone was only about half as loud as my 93 GT stock "premium sound" system, so I'm like WTF.. I immediately start looking around & I see the speakers in my 93 Cobra are not stock :fm: "they are some aftermarket Pioneer speakers" so I'm thinking speakers are the problem, it must be the different speakers as my 93 GT had stock speakers so I figured I could just swap em out and it'd sound the same right, right ? But no I made the swap & it still sounds almost exactly the same & now my 93 GT sounds better with the pioneer speakers then it did before :cuss:

Now after all that I am here, My question is: Is the 93 GT Radio different then the 93 Cobra or something ? Is the Amp output different between the 93 GT & the 93 Cobra ? Or is my amp I bought used from the guy here on the forums broke ot not working right or something ? I mean I know the 93 GT & 93 Cobra radios look abit different "even though the plugs & everything else are exactly the same" could it be the radios or the amps or what do you think :shrug: I'm included a few pics of the two so there's no confusion as to what I have. Any Suggestions would be very much appreciated :beer:

93 GT radio,
03_1.JPG

93 Cobra radio,
1124077101727_f3zz18806c1.jpg

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Wow, your 93 GT radio is indeed different than my stock cassette. Wonder if it was a carryover from 92? Very interesting, as I thought the premium sound was one and the same between the GT/Cobra.

Brandon, is this the case on all premium GT's, or just isolated units?

Speedfreek

Established Member
I've had the both ways. Ray I will check it for sure today. I have one sitting here with the Premium Radio with the cass you showed from your GT. I'll pull a Cobra Cass out and swap them and see if that is your problem.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You know, I was thinking the premium SS was unique for the 93 model year, including the amp. However, didn't they swap the amps somewhere around 91 or so?

~Ray~

Established Member
Speedfreek said:
I've had the both ways. Ray I will check it for sure today. I have one sitting here with the Premium Radio with the cass you showed from your GT. I'll pull a Cobra Cass out and swap them and see if that is your problem.

Thanks alot Speedfreek, I really appreciate you going to such extent to help ;)

~Ray~

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
I would be willing to bet that the amp is dead

But if the Amp was dead would the radio still work ?

Does anyone got a diagram or picture of the amp plug where it plugs into the radio btw, as I know the wires are color coded & I did em right but who knows maybe one of the wires are going to the wrong slot thing in the plug :shrug:

Speedfreek

Established Member
I think I Found your problem. On the premium on the Cobra the radio's must have been intended to use in other premium systems or possibly for the supersound option. on the right of the back of the radion there are 3 smaller plugs the plug from the harness plugs into the middle one. On the top hole on both of my Cobras they have like a little jumper plug with metal conections in it. I removed it and they did the same problem you are describing. Put it back in and it was fine. Did this on both my Cobras and the same thing. Put both radios out of my Cobras in a triple white feature car I have and the same results. Played fine with the plug and like you described without it. Check your radio and see if it has the plug in the top right hand hole if not that is your problem.

Last edited:

JKD

Banned
My radio cuts in and out. It doesnt lose power, just the sound. I pulled the radio out to look for a loose wire but found nothing. It's completely random too. The car can be sitting still not running and do it, so it's not from the car moving around. I was just about to say screw it and put in a aftermarket system. Tired of cruising without tunes. :(

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
JKD said:
My radio cuts in and out. It doesnt lose power, just the sound. I pulled the radio out to look for a loose wire but found nothing. It's completely random too. The car can be sitting still not running and do it, so it's not from the car moving around. I was just about to say screw it and put in a aftermarket system. Tired of cruising without tunes. :(

that doesn't surprise me. All in all the OEM radios are junk. I know that there are people that want to keep the OEM look as I did (except I used OEM CD players after the cassette went out) but after the 3rd one I installed my Alpine head unit that I still have today.

~Ray~

Established Member
Speedfreek said:
I think I Found your problem. On the premium on the Cobra the radio's must have been intended to use in other premium systems or possibly for the supersound option. on the right of the back of the radion there are 3 smaller plugs the plug from the harness plugs into the middle one. On the top hole on both of my Cobras they have like a little jumper plug with metal conections in it. I removed it and they did the same problem you are describing. Put it back in and it was fine. Did this on both my Cobras and the same thing. Put both radios out of my Cobras in a triple white feature car I have and the same results. Played fine with the plug and like you described without it. Check your radio and see if it has the plug in the top right hand hole if not that is your problem.

I have that plug going in the top of the three female connectors as you've explained, see pic.
cobraradio.jpg

Last edited:

Speedfreek

Established Member
Well damn thought I could help you. Did you pull that plug out and see if it changed anything? If you want this amp I got to try you can have it just pay the shipping.

~Ray~

Established Member
Alright I found the problem, turns out it's the radio. I swapped out the radios putting my New "so called" 93 Cobra radio in my 93 GT & it sound nowhere near as good as the 93 GT one & the one that was in my 93 GT don't appear to be the right one as I looked up the part# on the 93 GT radio F7ZF-19B132-BA & by the looks of it even though I couldn't find much on Google about it I think it's for a different year car or something but That radio rocks !!! It blows away my New 93 Cobra radio part# F3ZF-19B165-AC away for real. So all in all I think the Radio in my GT is just more powerfull that's why it sounds so much better :shrug:

If anyone has access to ford part #'s or have a 93 cobra radio laying around can you verify the part#'s :beer:

Last edited:

SRV1

Established Member
Not to hijack this thread, but my friend had a factory CD player in his 93 GT. He sold it to me since I wanted the factory look as well. Now I know his CD player worked fine without any isssues. When I plugged it in, all it wanted to do is eject CD's. The radio worked, but it kept ejecting cd's. My car is a 90 and it has the premium sound system with the 6 speakers, so my question is does the 90 have different wiring than a 93 GT? Maybe this is the reason why Ray is having issues with his?

James :shrug:

~Ray~

Established Member
If I am not mistaken that is a well known problem with Mustang cd players I don't think it has anythingthing to do with anything other then the cd player it'self. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread