Stock Thermostat gauge is bogus

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
I recently installed aeroforcetech gauges and have been watching my water temps while fighting cooling problems. Anyways, the stock gauge will not read hot until you go over 250F. Lame

01vert

Established Member
That and the Oil pressure are just dummy gauges, only read when seriously out of whack. Comes from moron drivers seeing their oil pressure slightly higher or lower or temp slightly off and calling in for service and warranty work. Dumbing down of cars for the normal idiot that drives with the e brake on and doesnt notice.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
The water temp and oil pressure gauge in my 95 work very well, you can watch them go up or down. Now the gauges in my 99 Cobra are just stupid....just go to the middle and stop.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
That and the Oil pressure are just dummy gauges, only read when seriously out of whack. Comes from moron drivers seeing their oil pressure slightly higher or lower or temp slightly off and calling in for service and warranty work. Dumbing down of cars for the normal idiot that drives with the e brake on and doesnt notice.

True story.

There is a way to make the gauges work properly though.
I read about it a while back. I am pretty sure that there is a resistor that either has to be removed and jumped, or just removed completely.
Try google:shrug:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if it really bothers you, just use the digital temp readout in the odo.

unless you have issues, the gauge shouldn't cause any tragedies.

01 Venom

Established Member
seriously, the guage will let you know when youre in trouble, 250 may seem hot to you but it really isnt. Your stock T-STAT is 195, on a summer day in traffic you could very well see mid 200 degree temps. Car can still run that way. So ya your guage doesnt budge off of normal until you exceed 250 or so, after that yes youre in trouble.

Ford wants the car to get hot quick and stay hot, its good for Gas miles and emissions. I put the 160 in and my car typically runs at 180 on a normal day. My stock guage almost never reads normal anymore heh

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
seriously, even with a huge a/a intercooler in front of the radiator, my car never got above 215 degrees on a 105 degree day.

Cruising on the highway, it was at about 200.

You simply should not have overheating issues on anything resembling a stockish car.

01 Venom

Established Member
Youre right quad, when i was stock the thing always ran about the same as you.

All I am saying is that guage will move when the car is too hot. Its not as acurate as a good after market but its not totally useless either

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Yep, I put a 180 thermostat in my car and my doesn't ever budge above 190 degrees. Granted, I haven't driven her in the summer with my Phantoms, but we'll see. I don't expect it to get much higher, if any.

Users who are viewing this thread