Stock Tune with 2.8 Upper?

uofipilot

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra that has very light modifications. The car was tuned by Alternative Auto in Detroit 10 years ago, and the tune is perfect for my uses (great street tune). I bought the car 5 years ago from the original owner that got it tuned at Alternative Auto. All emissions monitoring equipment was turned off in the original tune.

After I bought it, it passed Illinois emissions with no problem. Illinois has since updated their software to check if emissions systems are turned off. So, I failed emissions this year.

1st Option - I'm trying to get in contact with Alternative Auto and see if by some stroke of luck they still have the original custom tune file saved and can edit it to turn the emissions systems back on, email me the updated tune, I can load it to the car with the SCT tuner, and move on with my life. (Car has hi-flow cats, so hopefully it won't trip the rear O2s). I wouldn't mind having the emissions systems on anyway. I have cats and light mods, so the car should not throw any codes anyway with my current setup.

2nd Option - The car has the stock air meter and stock injectors. Other mods are the hi-flow cats, catback, heat exchanger, air filter....ie nothing that should affect the A/F ratios, plus a 2.8 inch upper. My question for you fine gentlemen is if I just turn the car back to stock, drive it around for a bit (staying out of boost) to get the systems to read, roll through emissions, and then re-upload the custom tune, will that work? I think I'll be fine with the 2.8 upper on a stock tune, presuming I don't drive like an asshole and I keep out of boost. Please correct me if I'm missing something.

Open to any other suggestions.

Thanks -

Uglywolf

Established Member
Lidio up at Alternative is very organized so Option #1 is possible, if you know the person's name that had it tuned there you might be in luck. I hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread