Stock vs. Boss Intake Dyno Results

wbt

Banned
Re-dyno'ed today with the Boss intake. Same dyno. Also had additional 2011 Mustang GT's on the dyno. I wanted to see if the dyno was "loose" since my initial numbers seemed high.

Out of the other 2011's, the CAI, O/R X and tune cars all roughly put out the same HP. 397-406WHP.

The one long tube, CAI, tune GT laid down 421/384 at the wheels.

My results were:
StockvsBoss.jpg

I gained TQ and HP in the 4,400 - 6K range and saw nice gains from 7K up. Can't wait to get this thing back to the track. :D

Last edited:

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Nice numbers!!

I'm surprised the stock intake was pretty much even on HP from around 5,800 - 6,500 RPM's.

wbt

Banned
Nice numbers!!

I'm surprised the stock intake was pretty much even on HP from around 5,800 - 6,500 RPM's.

Thanks! :)

I can say I have a great tuner as well so that also helps. :rockon:

I think the BBK shorties have something to do with the similar output in the RPM range you mentioned. I have been ridiculed for going with the BBK shorties on other boards. I suppose I am eating my cake too. ;)

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It doesnt seem like the boss intake made a huge gain in hp, idk thought it would make some better numbers, but still helps in top end.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
It doesnt seem like the boss intake made a huge gain in hp, idk thought it would make some better numbers, but still helps in top end.

seems like if he ran both runs to 7600, the boss would destroy the stock 70-76. thats what ive seen on the other comparison dynos.

AM said on their nitrous car it made better number lower too

wbt

Banned
...to add...my car is a bit non-typical in traditional long tube/stock shorty results with the Boss intake. I can only attribute the difference in the BBK shorties and a tits on tune. They show to shift the powerband up in the RPM range as is evident in the pull with the stock intake. If you look at all the other Boss vs. stock intake dyno's out there, the Boss intake starts to pick up significantly more power starting at 6,600 RPM vs. the stock intake. See dyno results from JJ@WMS here:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ht=boss+intake

What does it all mean? I will shift at around 7,500. I will be making ~430WHP for almost 1K RPM. When I shift I will be in the very "meat" of my power almost all the time resulting in better track times. That's exactly what I was looking for with the intake swap.

kingnut

Established Member
there are no major gains until 7k... as much as these transmissions have issues. it would seem the stock intake would be preferred.

wbt

Banned
there are no major gains until 7k... as much as these transmissions have issues. it would seem the stock intake would be preferred.

Not really. 90% of the issues are with the stock clutch and a few reported actual transmission issues.

Spinning the car up to 7,700, it is recommended to replace the stock clutch with something SFI approved. I chose to go with the dual disc RAM clutch with the alum. SFI approved flywheel.

You have to have the proper gear to run the Boss intake period. Put it on a 3.31 or 3.15 car and it will not preform well.

Also, I think you didn't read my previous post through. Some good info there about the comparison in relation to the results I saw. ;)

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
Not really. 90% of the issues are with the stock clutch and a few reported actual transmission issues.

Spinning the car up to 7,700, it is recommended to replace the stock clutch with something SFI approved. I chose to go with the dual disc RAM clutch with the alum. SFI approved flywheel.

You have to have the proper gear to run the Boss intake period. Put it on a 3.31 or 3.15 car and it will not preform well.

Also, I think you didn't read my previous post through. Some good info there about the comparison in relation to the results I saw. ;)

how would this clutch do for street dd driving

wbt

Banned
how would this clutch do for street dd driving

I have yet to install it however based on those that have this or the McLeod version, they report it is similar to stock for drive-ability and feel. This plus the aluminum flywheel are why I chose it vs. just replacing the disc and pressure plate with a single disc design. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread