Stock vs. Pullied Cobra Drivability

black 10th vert

Established Member
I can't believe these guys actually arguing about the benefit of changing idlers and what the cause is! CobraBob is spot on and has been here long enough to have seen way more exploded idlers on this forum than I can even count! Sure changing the upper alone may not alter the actual speed of the idlers, but there is definitely a huge difference in the forces acting on them, whether it's from increased belt tension to prevent slipping or something else entirely. The point is that they can, and in most cases will explode on a modified Cobra and being stranded is the least of your worries. I've seen hoods damaged as well as engine accessories, plus you're guaranteed to need another belt as well so for the doubters, go ahead and roll the dice! There are a few things common with these cars that has been proven time and time again such as not boosting in 5th and 6th gear, upgrading idlers, getting rid of rubber bushings in the IRS to prevent half shaft breakage and wheel hop, etc. sure, you can get by without doing any of that, but if it's something that has proven to chronically fail in these cars why argue about it when the anecdotal evidence is there? Search past threads going back 10 or more years and see for yourself!

Last edited:

subobo0411

Established Member
I can't believe these guys actually arguing about the benefit of changing idlers and what the cause is! CobraBob is spot on and has been here long enough to have seen way more exploded idlers on this forum than I can even count! Sure changing the upper alone may not alter the actual speed of the idlers, but there is definitely a huge difference in the forces acting on them, whether it's from increased belt tension to prevent slipping or something else entirely. The point is that they can, and in most cases will explode on a modified Cobra and being stranded is the least of your worries. I've seen hoods damaged as well as engine accessories, plus you're guaranteed to need another belt as well so for the doubters, go ahead and roll the dice! There are a few things common with these cars that has been proven time and time again such as not boosting in 5th and 6th gear, upgrading idlers, getting rid of rubber bushings in the IRS to prevent half shaft breakage and wheel hop, etc. sure, you can get by without doing any of that, but if it's something that has proven to chronically fail in these cars why argue about it when the anecdotal evidence is there? Search past threads going back 10 or more years and see for yourself!

OK, OK guys, you have me convinced/paranoid the stockers are going to grenade on me, so I'll plan on upgrading those too. The whole point of me starting this tread was to make sure I wouldn't loose driveability and reliability with doing a upper pulley. Sounds like I could definitely have some reliability issues and I'm with you guys, just the risk of what COULD happen and being stranded somewhere is just not worth it to me. Definitely in this case worth the $300-$500 (depending on which I go with) of insurance in buying these, especially if I'm going to do it anyways down the road. :beer:

On a slightly different note, the car is supposed to go into the shop the end of this week and we just got 3 - 6 inches of snow here!!! :cryying: I thought this weather was behind us! Wednesday is back up in the 60's so hopefully it's all gone by then. Car is not my daily and I really, really don't want her to see any snow/salt. Not to mention driving with the DR's in crappy weather.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I ditched the stock idlers as soon as I went to a 2.8 upper. I've seen enough pictures of shredded idlers. Plus stockers look ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread